    that the minor errors bother me all that much, but I *would* hate to
    buy one of these things today and find out that a "Star Wars Trilogy
    v1.01" starts showing up in stores next month.

    Opticreep, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Opticreep

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with it?

    Mike Kohary, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Opticreep

    Richmond Guest

    From what I hear, the left and right audio channels are flipped.

    Between that, the changes to the movies, and the dismal lack of extras
    (compared to Eps 1 and 2), I'm just not buying it. There's no way this will
    be the ONLY DVD release of the movies; someday there'll be a better DVD
    release, or at least a different one, and maybe I'll get it then.

    B.

    Richmond, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Opticreep

    Bill Guest

    The two and a half hour "Empire of Dreams" documentary is almost worth the
    purchase price of the set--even though a truncated version aired on the A &
    E channel only days before the release of the trilogy.

    Bill, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Opticreep

    Stan Jensen Guest

    The channels are swapped, and the music score is nearly ruined in several
    places. Also, there are really bad dialog scenes that sound lilke they
    never touched them.

    HOWEVER.... Lucas has said that there's nothing wrong with the disc. So if
    he says so, it must be, right? Those that have high-end theaters and are
    DVD afficianadoes don't know a thing.

    Stan Jensen, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Opticreep

    Anybody Guest

    Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't - "experts" rarely actually know
    anything. ;-)

    Anybody, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Opticreep

    Richmond Guest

    Yeah, I may pick up a used copy down the line, but there's just not enough
    stuff there to justify it this time, especially knowing how George loves to
    tweak and rerelease. There will be more DVD releases, and they may even be
    better. If they're not, they'll at least drive down the price for used
    copies of this set, and I can pick it up then.

    B.

    Richmond, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Opticreep

    Biz Guest

    R and L channels swapped would be so obvious to anyone with even a stereo
    setup as R to L pans would actually be heard as L to R. Is that is what is
    happening, cos this would be the first I have heard of it posted in here?

    Biz, Nov 9, 2004
  9. Opticreep

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    It's a bit more subtle than that. What's actually happened is that the
    left and right surround channels have been swapped for the musical
    score. The front soundstage is perfectly fine, and directional sound
    effects all come from the correct speakers. It's just that when the
    score wells up, elements of music that should be biased toward the right
    of the room will come from the right front speaker and left rear speaker
    simultaneously, and elements that should be biased toward the left of
    the room will come from the left front speaker and right rear speaker,
    creating a slightly disorienting crossways soundfield.

    Joshua Zyber, Nov 9, 2004
  10. So for the 95% of us that have no home theater unit and just listen to the
    movies through the TV speakers = JUST FINE.

    C The Shocker, Nov 9, 2004
  11. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    The musical score for the first movie have the rear speakers reversed.
    So a trombone that comes out of the front left channel, would be
    heard on the rear right channel instead of the rear left channel.
    Sound effects are not affected, however.

    There's also one scene where the volume of a dialogue is *very*
    noticeably fluctuating.

    Other than that, there's some instances where the sountrack mix is
    very muted compared to the original version. People seem to think
    that these instances result from an accidental (not intentional)
    change.

    Opticreep, Nov 9, 2004
  12. Opticreep

    Ryan Robbins Guest

    I haven't noticed anything wrong with it.
    It's not like Lucas or anybody had any thoughts that "Star Wars" would
    become a huge success so they decided to film as much behind the scenes
    footage as possible for the DVD that Lucas planned to release 28 years
    later...

    Ryan Robbins, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Opticreep

    Richmond Guest

    Maybe so, but have you seen "The Making Of Star Wars?" That's something
    that could have gone on the DVDs, and when you factor that documentaries
    generally shoot at a 10:1 ratio (10 hours of footage for each 1 hour of
    screen time), I would bet there's a lot of behind-the-scenes footage we
    still haven't seen.

    Richmond, Nov 9, 2004
  14. Opticreep

    Mr. Mike Guest

    I heard it was the right and left SURROUND channels that were reversed for the
    music (the effects were OK).

    Mr. Mike, Nov 9, 2004
  15. Opticreep

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Why is that "wrong"? Perhaps it was intentional?

    I'm not being a smart-aleck, it's a genuine question.

    Mike Kohary, Nov 9, 2004
  16. Opticreep

    Masterplan Guest

    The dialogue problem is most evident (to me) in the scene between
    Vader, Tarkin, and Leia. You can hear some lines spoken clear as a
    bell, and others are muddy sounding. If they were all muddy, no one
    would notice. The clear crisp lines really stick out.

    That could not have been intentional.

    Masterplan, Nov 9, 2004
  17. Opticreep

    Mike Kohary Guest

    I haven't actually watched this disc yet, so I'll be sure to give it a
    listen.

    Mike Kohary, Nov 9, 2004
  18. Opticreep

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    That's what Lucasfilm is now claiming, that "We meant to do it that way.
    So there!" However, when you listen to it, when you notice the problem
    it definitely sounds 'wrong'. The musical soundfield is thrown
    completely off balance. It couldn't be intentional.

    Joshua Zyber, Nov 9, 2004
  19. Opticreep

    Willy Nilly Guest

    Ah, but he did, and some of it was NOT released on this DVD trilogy.
    An example is "The Making of Star Wars". Lucas could even go the
    whole hog and include "The Star Wars Holiday Special" as an Easter
    Egg, but it's doubtful.

    Willy Nilly, Nov 9, 2004
  20. Opticreep

    Willy Nilly Guest