    release unit yet? I'm looking to scan 4x5" B/W negs
    for digital printing.
    Thanks,

    Warren Jones, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Warren Jones

    > Guest

    The film scanning side of this flatbed is above average. It is quite slow in
    my experience in scanning film, but that could be related to the ancient PC
    it is connected to at work. I had all kinds of trouble with the scanning
    software freezing on 80% while scanning 6x6 trannies or larger.

    It's a convenient device and I was honestly surprised to see the scan
    quality from a trannie or neg.

    Attach it to a good PC and it should be worth getting. The one we have in
    our photolab is out of date (Pentium 2 333mhz - 192mb Ram).

    By the way it replaced our AGFA ARCUS II scanner which did the same kind of
    scanning but at a lesser quality.

    --
    Tony

    Remove the fish to reply
    --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

    >, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Warren Jones

    Roy G. Biv Guest

    I have an AMD athlon 2300, windows XP, and 2 gig ram. I would still describe
    the 9900F as slow and sometimes the software freezes. Are you willing to
    wait 20 minutes for a scan from 6x9? In my experience FARE (infrared channel
    dust and scratch) is quite variable. It's good on scratches, but I have
    found that dust is sometimes ignored and other times removed perfectly.
    Also, it seems that FARE is sensitive to exposure. Increase the exposure and
    FARE gets better. But that works mainly with negatives where you can set
    things right in photoshop afterwards. Please be aware that this is my
    experience with exactly one unit. YMMV and all the usual disclaimers.
    Sorry but due to spam I cannot give a real e-mail adress. Please reply to
    the group with questions or comments.

    Roy G. Biv, Oct 29, 2003