antoFUD Why "we" chase infringers of the GPL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, May 8, 2005.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    There seems to be some repeated critisism of OSS harassing companies who
    violate the GPL terms. I just found this legal point,

    "........Those of you who have been here with Groklaw a while will
    remember that in our first article about Judge Kimball years ago, we
    noted that he ruled against a copyright holder, represented by Brent
    Hatch, for waiting too long to assert a copyright. Having failed to
    exercise reasonable diligence, IBM says, SCO can't now excuse its delay
    in bringing the claim........."

    (last 2 paras or so), are interesting,

    http://www.mormonstoday.com/010119/A2DHughes01.shtml

    So if you dont up hold your copyrights within a reasonable time period
    of becoming aware of a problem or do not carry out reasonable diligence
    to make sure an infringment has not occured, you can lose the right on
    the copyright......So if OSS allows an infringer to continue without
    challenge the entire code base could end up public domain.....wouldnt MS
    etc just love that one.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 8, 2005