    anyone got any advice on a decent one

    thanks
    ritch

    Ritch, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Ritch

    Groove Guest

    Ritch said this...
    AVG. Good as most and the price is right.
    Google will show you the way. :)

    Groove, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Ritch

    Conor Turton Guest

    It's fucking abysmal.

    Take a look at it's scores on the Virus Bulletin website
    www.virusbtn.com

    Conor Turton, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Ritch

    Groove Guest

    Conor Turton said this...
    I see a pass for the latest version. Is there something I'm missing here?

    Groove, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Ritch

    AWM Guest

    AVG is very very good -- in these virus ridden times the virus
    definnition files are usually updated dailly.

    Also download Lavasoft Ad-Aware to clear spybots and Kerio Personal
    firewall

    AWM, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Ritch

    Tim Downie Guest

    Don't think so. I've used AVG for a year now. Easy to update and doesn't
    tie a metaphorical brick to your processor (unlike some other anti virus
    programs).

    I wouldn't ever aboslutely *rely* on any anti-virus program to keep me out
    of trouble however. Mk1 brain cell does that.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Ritch

    Danny Horne Guest

    It might be better to look at the big picture, this page shows AVG to
    have had only 2 passes in 21 tests -
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

    Danny Horne, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Ritch

    Peter Parry Guest

    You seem to be maintaining your level of inaccuracy. Most
    knowledgable people would disagree with you.
    The "independent" magazine.

    Domain Name: VIRUSBTN.COM
    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Sophos Plc (IS3425-ORG)
    The Pentagon
    Abingdon, Oxon OX14 3YP

    Virus Bulletin,
    The Pentagon,
    Abingdon Science Park,
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 3YP, UK.

    Sophos Plc
    The Pentagon
    Abingdon Science Park
    Abingdon, OX14 3YP, UK

    Irrespective of its independence or otherwise how useful the magazine
    results are is a matter of debate. A virus product which failed to
    detect hundreds of viruses can score 100% but one which detected all
    of them but produced a single false positive would be marked as
    "failed". Without looking at recent detailed results (only
    available in the subscription magazine) the award marking is worse
    than meaningless.

    Peter Parry, Sep 24, 2003
  9. Ritch

    Groove Guest

    Danny Horne said this...
    I hear you Danny, thanks. I did have just the quickest look at the site after
    Conor posted. I'll go back when time and clients permit and read in more
    detail.

    Groove, Sep 24, 2003
  10. Ritch

    Peter Parry Guest

    Without seeing the test results in detail the results are
    meaningless. Indeed they are arguably worse than meaningless as they
    can positively mislead you.

    Other testing organisations include
    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/labs.shtml
    and
    http://www.check-mark.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl

    The only consistency between the three organisations is that they
    produce different results from each other even though they supposedly
    use the same virus list for their testing (the Wild List
    http://www.wildlist.org/WildList/)

    Practically, of the many viruses around only about 230 are listed on
    the current "wild list" with another about 600 on the supplemental
    list. For most people only the most common are a real threat and all
    products are more or less equally effective against these. How easy
    the thing is to use, how much it slows down your machine etc is not
    tested.

    Products can "fail" the tests for a variety of reasons, such as
    giving a single false positive in some cases, but would pass using
    other testers criteria. A simple pass/fail mark is not useful when
    comparing these products unless you know the details of the tests and
    the full results.

    Peter Parry, Sep 24, 2003
  11. Ritch

    Conor Turton Guest

    Its ability to catch viruses in the wild. A subscription to the
    alt.comp.anti-virus newsgroup will give you a clue on the general
    opinion of AVG. It's struggling with SWEN.

    Conor Turton, Sep 24, 2003
  12. Ritch

    Conor Turton Guest

    NOD32 has passed every single test, is very lightweight and $39.

    Conor Turton, Sep 24, 2003
  13. Ritch

    Groove Guest

    Conor Turton said this...
    Thanks for the heads-up. My primary AV is currently e-Trust EZ Antivirus but
    perhaps it's time to look at alternatives.

    Groove, Sep 24, 2003
  14. Ritch

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 23 Sep
    2003 22:12:59 +0000 (UTC), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Ritch"
    AVG is great, and free.

    www.grisoft.com

    deKay

    deKay, Sep 24, 2003
  15. Ritch

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Sep
    uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Conor Turton
    Which is sponsored by CA and Sophos!

    deKay

    deKay, Sep 24, 2003
  16. Ritch

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Sep
    uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Conor Turton
    I have so far had over 30,000 copies of Swen - all caught by AVG.

    deKay

    deKay, Sep 24, 2003
  17. Ritch

    Conor Turton Guest

    It's free but it's far from great.

    Conor Turton, Sep 24, 2003
  18. Ritch

    Conor Turton Guest

    Yet one of the only AV suites to pass all the tests, NOD32, has ****
    all to do with either company.

    Conor Turton, Sep 24, 2003
  19. Ritch

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 24 Sep
    uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Conor Turton
    I've been using it, on several machines, for almost four years now. It
    catches everything, and has never let me down. I would say that is "great".

    deKay

    deKay, Sep 25, 2003
  20. Ritch

    Guest Guest

    I use norton corporate 8.1 at home and work. It works great and I never have
    to worry about updating it due to dsl and scheduled updates. Every once and
    a while I get paranoid and check it manually, but it is always up2date.

    Guest, Oct 1, 2003