anti-static blunder / keyboard gone haywire / advise?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by kplumm, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. kplumm

    kplumm Guest

    It was a bit rash of me, possibly, but I corrected a wrongly-fitting
    keyboard in my laptop without looking up any info about anti-static
    measures. While the bonnet was up, so to speak, I had a look to see
    how easy it would have been to fit my own RAM, having just paid for
    that job. apart from my CD drive recently dying - almost certainly
    mechanical as I tried all that DMA stuff - the computer usually works
    fine, but sometimes the keyboard goes a bit haywire, as if someone is
    pressing the Home key while I'm typing. Is this related ot my static
    blunder? What can be done to correct this? What should I have done
    as an anti-static measure?

    I have considered that this keyboard problerm is a virus, but it seems
    a very petty symptom, even going by virus-writers' mentality. Thanks
    for any feedback. you may ignore the question below, but it is one I
    have posted elsewhere about a different problem.

    "I have had my laptop 3 years without having any second user account
    on it. I don't know if there is a connection, but since adding a 2nd
    i.d. I get a box sometimes - but not always - saying something like
    'Winio failed to load. Please reinstall' I see I have some files in
    my o/s called winio but also there is something downloadable on the
    internet of this name. What is happening? The only other thing
    different on my computer is some mobile phone software called
    Wellphone, which enables me ot type SMS from my laptop, sending it
    through the phone, and to save SIM information. The drivers for my
    phone and its other software are installed. But I had Wellphone
    installed for a week before getting this winio box, and before setting
    up the 2nd user account.

    Thanks in advance for any feedback."

    kplumm, Jan 28, 2008