    Do I really need that type of software? Are there others as
    reliable? I have Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007.

    Thank you in advance

    Caurel, Jan 30, 2008

  2. yes there is norton antivirus it is the best there is but it costs
    some money

    cpu_lover fixer, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Caurel

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Norton is crap.

    pcbutts1, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Caurel

    samuel Guest

    ..com:
    norton? no way !!!! far from the best

    samuel, Jan 30, 2008
  5. Caurel

    M.L. Guest

    My update function with Lavasoft adaware SE personal stopped working
    It's probably doing autoupdates
    What do you have against the OP?

    M.L., Jan 30, 2008
  6. Caurel

    Buffalo Guest

    Try SuperAntiSpyware which is free and available at the same name and adding
    ..com.
    I use the paid version which includes auto updates and real time scanning.
    The free version doesn't offer the above but is just as powerful in removing
    the 'bad' stuff as the paid version.
    LavaSoft free AdAwareSE also did not do real-time scanning and auto-updates.
    I feel that the product I mentioned is superior to AdAware.
    Try it and let me know what you think.

    Buffalo, Jan 30, 2008
  7. Caurel

    thanatoid Guest

    oups.com:
    Lavasoft was great about 5-6 years ago. The it got all weird,
    started concentrating on pretty light blue screens, got several
    web sites which all had similar names and claimed to be Lavasoft
    but also seemed to be doing different things (just my
    experience, gang), etc.
    So I junked it.
    There is nothing wrong with that - in THIS case, not always.
    IMO, you /can/ trust /this/ author.
    Version 1.5 MAY have emphasized this "feature" to keep you
    automatically updated ALL the time. You CAN trust Patrick, IMO,
    but you /should/ (at least you could in older versions, I use
    1.3 and see no reason to move up) also be able to turn off the
    auto-update and the constant connection problem /should/ end
    with that. Then you can just DL the updates when you want to -
    there is really no reason to do it every day or every week - but
    I guess it depends on how careless and/or paranoid you are. He
    gives you the option of DL'g/installing WITH the program online,
    or just DL'g it "however" (like with a DL manager or a browser)
    and installing it offline yourself.
    I hear Panda is pretty good, but that's an endless discussion.
    The MAIN thing is that you just have to think a moment before
    you do /anything/ online. Big subject, covered in about a
    million other posts and web sites.

    But NO anti-virus or firewall protects you against all the kinds
    of things Spybot does (and other programs like it, although I
    think Spybot is one of the best - /and/ it's free, although I
    donated).

    So there you are. Computers are our friends.

    thanatoid, Jan 30, 2008
  8. Caurel

    sandy58 Guest

    Norton is crap.

    sandy58, Jan 30, 2008
  9. Caurel

    sandy58 Guest

    *but it costs some money*
    Does it? Not if you find the right place, it don't. Anyway, it's
    shit.

    sandy58, Jan 30, 2008
  10. Caurel

    catchme Guest

    although i have norton av2007 suite myself, and would normally swear by
    it....
    i understand that some rootkit detectors note that registers changed or
    added by norton may be suspect,....and then there's the fact i
    discovered when searching on this topic, that norton had in fact had
    been vulnerable to rootkits before but that they had cleaned up the
    issue....
    as i am researching this issue currently, i am hesitant to put my faith
    in norton alone (as mentioned previous, i run a full battery of security
    software from my desktop).

    catchme, Jan 30, 2008
  11. Caurel

    Caurel Guest

    I have to say, in all honesty, that I have tried Super Anti Spyware,
    free version, and that I am fully satisfied with its performance.

    Thank you for your references,

    Caurel, Jan 31, 2008
  12. Caurel

    squirlchatr Guest

    Some people somehow always have problems getting spyware and virus's
    even with using these anti-spyware, anti-virus type programs. If you
    don't have these problems then surely you need it less than they do,
    if you even need to use them at all.

    About the time I found these programs were pretty much worthless to me
    and unneeded and far more annoying than what it was worth was when I
    went to linux, except for Games and a few odd programs that need
    windows.

    Consider downloading and burning PcLinux ISO to a CD and run it from
    your CD in RAM.

    It would be like running the entire Windows operating system from your
    CD but instead it's free and it's Linux which has no spyware , virus,
    threats, to speak of. Best of all it's software is mostly all free,
    spyware free, no nagging for this and that just to use the software.
    Plus you will have
    something unique besides winxp or windows vista, that just works
    great.

    If you like the Live Cd PcLinux you can easily install it to your
    computers hard drive.

    squirlchatr, Feb 1, 2008
  13. Caurel

    paul Guest

    1. Download and run firefox to protect your from future spyware
    attacks and pop ups which are coming in through internet explorer
    (Trojan downloaders, win32 ) .Then update your windows through firefox
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/spyware-fighter-essentials.html

    2. Run the vundo and combo fix http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/vundofix-and-combo-fix.html

    3. Run the anti spyware remove programs spybot
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/spybot-search-and-destroy-spyware-and.html
    and superantispyware http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html
    to get rid of the nasties

    4. Run a free online virus scan to be sure you computer is virus and
    spyware free. http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/online-virus-scan.html
    download and run McAfee Avert Stinger Stinger is a stand-alone utility
    used to detect and remove specific viruses http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/stinger.htm

    5. Get the clean up tools to clean up the spyware from your temp
    folder (the place they are stored when downloaded by internet
    explorer) http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/clean-up-tools-to-prevent-people-from.html

    WHAT DO YOU DO IF EVERYTHING FAILS TO REMOVE THE SPYWARE or You are
    not sure your computer is spyware and virus free? If everything fails
    to get the nasty spyware removed let the experts take a look at whats
    happening on your computer.Visit the HijackThis Logs and Analysis
    forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

    Wiping your computer clean is NOT the solution.
    Asking /paying someone else to fix the problem is NOT the solution .
    TAKE A STAND NOW! IT's YOUR COMPUTER !!

    paul, Feb 8, 2008