Ansmann Energy 8 Charger not so good, Thomas Distributing great

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed Ruf, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Ed Ruf

    Ed Ruf Guest

    I just wish to convey my recent experience with an Ansmann Energy 8 battery
    charger and Thomas Distributing.

    For years I've used a Maha MH-C204F charger to charge AA NiMh batteries for
    mt Nikon CP-990 and later CP-5700 with MB-E5700. I've taken this charger on
    numerous trips with never a trouble. Charging 6 batts for the 5700/MB combo
    was a pain as the 204F only does 4 at a time. So in preparation for a
    vacation in Hawaii, I purchased an Ansmann Energy 8 charger from Thomas
    Distributing. Initially in the weeks before the trip all was well with this
    charger.

    For some reason the night before leaving for Hawaii I was compelled to
    recharge all of my battery sets. Luckily, this was a good thing. For
    whatever reason the Ansmann charger turned up DOA in Hawaii. I have no
    explanation for what might have happened, only it did. I took great care in
    ensuring the charger was cushioned in packing and there was no indication
    TSA had inspected the luggage and maybe plugged in normal batteries to
    verify its function. All I know is when plugged in at my destination it
    came up dead. Not a great situation. Luckily I had several sets of fully
    charged high capacity batteries to use in my CP-990/5700, so I did not need
    to buy another charger while on vacation, though I did need to modify my
    use of the camera some.

    Upon return home, I filled out a return form on the Thomas Distributing
    website and asked that I be sent a Maha MH-C401FS charger and be refunded
    the balance in exchange. Without any questions that is what Thomas
    Distributing did. I highly recommend then to anyone. You can't go wrong
    dealing with them in my opinion.

    Whether my experience with the Ansmann charger is typical or not, I have no
    idea. I can just say from this bad experience I will stay away from them.
    The Energy * was quite expensive for my overall needs of only wanting to
    be able to charge 6+ AA at one time. It may have other capabilities which I
    didn't need, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I should have
    stuck with my initial thought of using multiple Maha chargers for my need.
    One lives and learns.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Aug 17, 2004