    it does, I'm going to replace the power supply (about 2 years old).
    His computer only has one card, the video card. Can anyone give me
    any other areas to check? Thanks.

    Scribner, Dec 12, 2008

  2. PSU issues are generally manifest as VGA, IDE and random reboot problems.

    I'd try another PSU before going software ballistic.

    Centre Parting, Dec 12, 2008

  3. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    No. That's one of the software possibilities that I eliminated.

    Well, it is either software or hardware. If I replace the OS with one
    that I know works, and the problem persists, then it is definitely
    hardware. And Newegg is having a sale on power supplies right now.
    I use Zone Alarm Security Suite. I like to keep it simple for people
    like him. It came out clean.

    Scribner, Dec 12, 2008
  4. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    I found the solution for those who care. It turns out that the
    mo'board battery was dying. It wasn't enough to affect the BIOS
    settings save for the time and date. I replaced the 3 year old
    motherboard's battery and the computer shut off as normal.

    Scribner, Dec 23, 2008
  5. Hey, thanks for letting us know the reason. The friend forgot to change
    the battery, along with .. well .. blame it on the Alzh .. um, er ..
    what were we talking about? Who are you?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 23, 2008
  6. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    I'm the guy that you owe $20.00 to.

    Scribner, Dec 23, 2008
  7. Oh, right! Just mailed, and I stuck an extra $20 in there as interest!

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 23, 2008
  8. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    You are a good and honorable man. No matter what anybody says. Merry
    Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Chipper Kwanza.

    Scribner, Dec 23, 2008
  9. Scribner

    freemont Guest

    Don't get too excited; he forgot the stamp.

    ;-)

    freemont, Dec 24, 2008