    workout tomorrow when I go to the LPGA golf tournament in Atlanta. I'm
    sure that Natalie and Annika and all the girls will want to pose for
    the 20D and this baby. Until then, here's one I took with it today:

    Annika1980, Apr 19, 2006

  2. Annika1980

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Can't wait to see those pix, and get your review.

    Will you do a shot-by-shot comparison with your 28-135 IS,
    or aren't you that obsessive?

    Bill Tuthill, Apr 19, 2006

  3. Annika1980

    Scott W Guest

    And we want to see what it can do at f/4, f/10 is really not pushing
    the lens much.

    Scott

    Scott W, Apr 19, 2006
  4. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Will you do a shot-by-shot comparison with your 28-135 IS,
    Sure, I can do that.
    What test subject do you guys suggest?
    I know where there's a nice brick wall.

    Annika1980, Apr 20, 2006
  5. LOL.

    May I suggest a featureless blue sky. That'll at least determine its
    usefullness on a 1.6 factor cropped sensor (which is what many use).
    On a full (24x36mm) frame sensor it's reported to vignette
    significantly more than the EF 24-70 mm f/2.8 lens.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On a full (24x36mm) frame sensor it's reported to vignette
    That's why God made Photoshop and the Vignetting slider in ACR.

    Annika1980, Apr 20, 2006
  7. Annika1980

    Rich Guest

    The fact it lengthens is a good sign. It means Canon decided to
    go with higher quality optical performance than aesthetics and a
    likely more costly and complex internal zoom structure.
    -Rich

    Rich, Apr 20, 2006
  8. Annika1980

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Ha. If nothing else, Brett's posts are worth reading for the laughs.
    Where does it vignette, just at the wide end, maybe 24-28mm?

    Bill Tuthill, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Annika1980

    m Ransley Guest

    Another stupid post by annika pushing canon

    m Ransley, Apr 20, 2006
  10. SNIP
    I don't have that lens (I usually stick with f/2.8 or wider lenses),
    so I can only report on what I read/saw on e.g. DPreview/RG/etc.
    Unfortunately there is little quantifiable info available.

    There are IMHO 2 factors involved in vignetting:
    1. Mechanical vignetting, due to physical lens barrel / lens element
    diameter restrictions. These will usually go away beyond a certain
    reduced aperture.
    2. Geometrical effects or light fall-off, such as the larger
    magnification in the corners which will reduce exposure as a result of
    rectilinear projection. This is going to be present in all designs and
    is practically *not* affected by smaller apertures
    (http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/Imatest/LightFalloff.png).

    Factor 1 is IMHO the most important suspect with visually significant
    vignetting, and typically is more prominent towards the wide angle
    designs, but doesn't have to be with proper design.

    Given the inescapable retro-focus wide-angle lens design used on most
    35mm dSLRs, the effect of the 2nd factor is probably not getting worse
    with lenses shorter than some 40mm focal length.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Apr 21, 2006