Another stupid list: Which Actor appears most in your DVD collection?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bexley, May 31, 2004.

  1. Bexley

    Bexley Guest

    I don't mean which Stars appear most often, but which Actor (i.e. he may be a
    Star, but he might just be an actor).

    The rules are as follows:

    1 - Multiple roles don't count -- so Ted Raimi in Evil Dead III is still only
    once.

    2 - TV series only count once, so Ed Biship (UFO) or Garry Shandling (Larry
    Sanders) only count once.

    3 - Movie series only count once, too, so Al Pacino (Godfather I, II, and III)
    only once.

    4 - Voices count, so Alec Baldwin in Miami Blues and Royal Tanenbaums
    (Narrator).

    5 - Documentaries DON'T count unless the actor Narrates. No exceptions.

    For example, Bruce Campbell is in Evil Dead (I, II, and III) AND appears in
    Intolerable Cruelty (bg. actor) -- so that's twice.

    George Clooney is in Out Of Sight, Solaris, Dusk Till Dawn, Intolerable Cruelty
    i.e. = 4.

    Ward Bond is in The Searchers and Grapes of Wrath = 2.

    Alfred Hitchcock shouldn't really be included, but what the hell... Same with
    Martin Scorcese and his Parents.

    Now go an stare at your DVD's...

    --Bex.

    Bexley, May 31, 2004

  2. Bexley

    KING B MAN Guest

    For some unknown reason,
    Olivier Gruner- So-so action films
    Richard Norton see above
    Russell Crowe- Gladiator, Beautiful Mind
    Mel Gibson- Braveheart ,Living Dangerously. Mad Max trilogy, Tim, it could go
    on.
    Christopher Lee- Any Hammer stuff
    Followed by Bruce and Ted

    Mike
    Coming soon! The Summer of 3D (oh well, you will just have to wait and see)

    http://hometown.aol.com/kingbman/myhomepage/intro.html

    KING B MAN, May 31, 2004

  3. snip

    According to DVD Profiler the following actors appear as 5 or more
    characters in movies/tv shows in my collection:

    Tim Curry - at least 10
    Arnold Achwarzenneger - at least 9
    Jeff Goldblum - at least 8
    Robert De Niro - at least 7
    Bruce Campbell - at least 5
    Whoopi Goldberg - at least 5
    Sean Connery - at least 5
    John Travolta - at least 5
    Morgan Freeman - at least 5
    Brad Pitt - at least 5
    Ben Aflek - at least 5
    johnny Depp - at least 5
    Matt Damon - at least 5
    Bill Murray - at least 5
    Halle Berry - at least 5

    Arthur Lipscomb, May 31, 2004
  4. Bexley

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    How do you count Maud Adams in the James Bond series. She was in more
    than one movie but played dfferent parts?

    dick
    -- If you're going to have complicated rules then they must be precise

    Dick Sidbury, May 31, 2004
  5. Bexley

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Oh and how do you cound Arnold in the terminator movies? He plays three
    different cyborgs, two of which are very similar.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, May 31, 2004
  6. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but here are the ones that came up on a quick
    search through DVD Profiler:

    Woody Allen -- 27 films
    Michael Caine -- 15 films
    Mia Farrow -- 14 films
    Toshiro Mifune -- 13 films
    Cary Grant -- 13 films
    Jack Warden -- 13 films
    Martin Balsam -- 13 films
    Donald Sutherland -- 13 films
    Samuel L. Jackson -- 13 films
    Sir Laurence Olivier -- 12 films
    James Stewart -- 12 films
    Takashi Shimura -- 12 films
    Sean Connery -- 12 films
    Dustin Hoffman -- 12 films
    Gene Hackman -- 12 films
    Jeff Goldblum -- 12 films
    Jack Lemmon -- 11 films
    Tom Hanks -- 11 films
    Gregory Peck -- 10 films
    Clint Eastwood -- 10 films
    Martin Sheen -- 10 films
    Al Pacino -- 10 films
    Anthony Hopkins -- 10 films
    Claude Rains -- 9 films
    Audrey Hepburn -- 9 films
    Paul Newman -- 9 films
    Robert Redford -- 9 films
    Robert Duvall -- 9 films
    Diane Keaton -- 9 films
    Steve Buscemi -- 9 films
    Harrison Ford -- 8 films
    Sigourney Weaver -- 8 films
    Kevin Bacon -- 6 films (not really all that many, but I *had* to include
    him for sheer six-degrees value)

    I'll stop there for now.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, May 31, 2004
  7. Chaplin, Keaton, Hitchcock, Welles, Wayne, and probably a handful of
    Coen and Ford regulars.

    --
    "I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
    heard all day."

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 31, 2004
  8. Bexley

    Jay Stewart Guest

    Robert DeNiro and Bruce Willis top my list - if you count three appearances
    for the Die Hard films...

    Jay Stewart, Jun 1, 2004
  9. says...
    [snip]

    I'd have to check my collection to be positive, but the last time I
    looked, the top three stars in my collection were (1) John Wayne, (2)
    Cary Grant, and (3) Bob Hope. Charlie Chaplin will probably also be way
    up there if you want to count all of the shorts he made that have been
    released in various DVD collections. For women, I think the top ones are
    Maggie Cheung and Katharine Hepburn.

    It was horrifying to realize that John Wayne was way in the lead, since
    I'm really not a fan of his. I just happen to like most of the films
    he's in, despite the fact that he's in them.

    As for supporting roles, God only knows, especially if you're not
    allowing multiple films in a series (otherwise, Desmond Llewellyn would
    be up there for all of his James Bond appearances as "Q").

    -- jayembee

    Jerry Boyajian, Jun 1, 2004
  10. Bexley

    MauiJNP Guest

    with just my DVD (of which I only have 12), it would be George Clooney
    because I have Ocean's 11 and One Fine Day.

    using DVD and VHS, it would be Matthew McConaughey, my favorite

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "You're a judge, pretty much all you do

    Judging Amy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    MauiJNP, Jun 1, 2004
  11. Bexley

    Bexley Guest

    Maude is twice. (two seperate characters) But you can count her once if you
    like.
    Arnold is Once (same basic character "The Terminator").

    Bexley, Jun 1, 2004
  12. Bexley

    Bexley Guest

    Not quite, Jay:

    Willis would only be once, but DeNiro is high on the list (no reoccurring
    characters or series for him).

    --Bex.

    Bexley, Jun 1, 2004
  13. Bexley

    Bexley Guest

    You might have a large John Ford collection, which means you probably have all
    of Fords supporting players in there as well: John Qualen, Andy Devine, Jeanette
    Nolan, John Caradine etc.
    Multiple films with a single character don't count: "Q" is only one (although he
    made a comfortable living out of it) and Bond is considered a series...

    Bexley, Jun 1, 2004
  14. Bexley

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Well, I don't have a list of my DVDs in front of me... (I've been
    meaning to do a 6 degrees of Jordan's video collection...) but off the
    top of my head I'd guess Bruce Willis.

    12 Monkeys
    Die Hard
    Fifth Element
    Pulp Fiction
    Sixth Sense

    A close second would be Ewan MacGregor.

    Big Fish
    Moulin Rouge
    Star Wars I and II
    Trainspotting

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Jun 1, 2004
  15. Bexley

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Bexley, says...

    Well, your subject says it is a stupid survey, and I'd agree. Especially
    since I think these two rules are stupid. So I'll pass.

    Mark Spatny, Jun 2, 2004
  16. Did you use a DVD Profiler report to get this? If so which one? Thanks

    Raúl Bloodworth, Jun 2, 2004
  17. I only *wish*. No, I just chose likely actors and checked their names in
    the "Actor" filter, then counted relevant titles by hand.

    There's probably a way to do it with the "Export Database to XML" function
    and XSLT, but I didn't want to take the time to figure it out.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Jun 3, 2004
  18. Thanks anyway.

    Raúl Bloodworth, Jun 3, 2004