    included in the petition, which said merely that if it is approved,
    "each film studio will make its own decision about how, when and with
    which partners it might use this option."

    The alMIGHTY N, May 21, 2008

  2. The download industry is ITSELF a speed bump:
    Something annoying that sits as a big lump in the middle of the road,
    and which nobody ever notices, until they HAAAAVE to slow down and play
    along with somebody *else's* party-pooper idea of what they thought
    "had" to be in the road, before the normal drivers can speed back up
    again to what they were doing, and ignore it in the rear-view mirror
    behind them...
    And tech-standards anarchy reigns once more...
    The hi-def disk industry had the right idea: Join tech standards, or
    die disunited.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, May 21, 2008

  3. Good luck--Thanks to that "Copy protection...that studios may decide for
    themselves how and when to use", we're in for another few years of
    exactly what we've got now:
    Obscure and paranoiacally guarded studio offerings on exclusive
    software, to prevent any united standards that might, horrors, make it
    easy for geeks to copy.

    If you want to get your download movies the HARD way (and presumably
    have a Windows-based system or want to shell out for some third-party
    AppleTV "competitor"), studios will be more than happy to oblige.

    Derek Janssen (and the irony is, they think they're beating disk
    sales/rentals because it's, quote, "easier" to watch the movie... ;) )

    Derek Janssen, May 21, 2008
  4. How many times do we have to explain it?--It's the studio's El Dorado,
    and they'll keep digging up Florida to find it:

    Studios were first disgruntled back in the 80's about this new
    "Beta"-thingy letting audiences not see movies in theaters and stay home
    (and depriving them of theater royalties)--Unless, of course, they were
    watching them on those expensive network-TV showings, or licensed HBO
    rotations.
    Until some nut came up with the idea of *renting* those expensive black
    tapes, and then studios realized they didn't have to worry after
    all...They'd get a cut of anybody who rented "E.T.", any where, any
    time, for any showing, and they'd make a little off the side if anyone
    wanted to *buy* it on tape!

    Then disk came along, and EVERYTHING was for sale.
    Not that studios don't get royalties on a few Blockbuster rentals now
    and again, but studios can see Control slipping from their fingers with
    every new DVD-acceptance development...Overenthusiastic disk fans
    wishfully gushing over the "Death of the cineplex" doesn't exactly do
    wonders for their antiperspirant either.
    And as long as there's *one* insecure studio still dreaming that Golden
    Dream of an industry where every single screening of a Smash Hollywood
    Hit having a running taxi-meter attached to it--with all the proceeds
    going to your friendly and generous studio--the dream will never die.
    Never. Even crosses, holy water, and sane rational explanations won't
    work. They'll be pumping Download-Technology-of-the-Week down our
    throats ten years from now, and with the exact same ad copy.

    (Simply put, y'know how medieval Cardinals and land barons thought
    Gutenberg's printing press was evil, because they worried it might teach
    peasants to read, and would break their own feudal stranglehold monopoly
    on information?
    DVD has become the Printing Press of Hollywood.)

    Derek Janssen (and just call us the Martin Luthers of Blu-Ray) ^_^

    Derek Janssen, May 22, 2008
  5. The alMIGHTY N

    FatBytestard Guest

    Yet still at a lower "def" than the BD discs, which will STILL be the
    best way to COLLECT the most advanced format for a film release.

    It will be the norm for some time to come.

    FatBytestard, May 22, 2008

  6. I went to see TFK two weeks ago. It is on it's third week now?

    I DLd it from a torrent three days ago, and I am astounded at the DVD+
    quality level of the sub-CD sized datagram. It was practically flawless.

    Not bad for a Divx AVI file.

    It has since been deleted. Still... pretty wild shit.

    Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason, May 22, 2008
  7. The alMIGHTY N

    skip Guest

    I guess none of these people have seen Blu Ray at 1080p On a good TV.
    Nothing off of the air can duplicate that picture.

    skip, May 22, 2008
  8. No, they got so into "Blu-ray is evil because Sony makes rootkits" from
    '06, and now they can't understand why the Bad People won and everyone
    likes them...

    It helps to update one's mental files, every so often.

    Derek Janssen (or as the saying goes, "Change your mind, it's beginning
    to smell")

    Derek Janssen, May 22, 2008
  9. The alMIGHTY N

    godslabrat Guest

    Yeah, anyone that ever tries to give me that line again is going to
    get an earful. Last weekend I got it in my head that I wanted to rent
    "Supergirl", since I had never seen the movie despite being a huge fan
    of comic book adaptations. I didn't really want to buy it, since I'm
    now buying all my mainstream stuff in BR and also since I knew it had
    a reputation for not being a very good movie in the first place.
    Seeing as I was pretty busy that weekend, I thought I'd approach VOD-
    as-rental with an open mind, since IMO that's the only appropriate use
    for it.

    I checked iTunes. They don't have it. I checked Amazon Unbox.
    Nope. I checked my cable company's VOD/PPV service. Nope. I don't
    have a 360 or a PS3, but at this point, I was feeling pretty stupid
    for even trying. I had already expended ten times the amount of
    energy it would have taken me to just Netflix the movie, which
    completely defeats the whole "effortless" selling point of downloads.
    CONTENT RULES ALL, people. If a guy like me, who actually wants to
    spend a decent chunk of change watching B-movies, cult favorites, or
    y'know, ANYTHING BESIDES THE LATEST STUFF THAT JUST CAME OUT can't
    catch a break with downloads, then we'll go right back to discs. It's
    that simple. Yeah, I'm sure that someone's going to say, "But, Aaron,
    the studios will step up their game and make the selection better."
    Well, that's spiffy, but the point I'll come back to is "Yeah, but DVD
    is there *NOW*, and BluRay is on track to match DVD as time goes on."
    Why give up two co-operating and proven technologies that give me what
    I want in the best possible quality, for a bunch of competing set-top
    boxes trying to sell (er, I mean, "rent") me hyper-compressed
    downloads?

    I still say that if downloads were to kill off discs, it would
    ultimately result in the consumer having a much smaller selection of
    content.

    godslabrat, May 24, 2008
  10. The main problem is, all that downloadable material, WITH
    customer-playback ability (or, as the cable ads say, "You're in
    control--You can fast-forward *and* rewind!") have to come from somewhere...
    And even given the future Neato Vaporware that usually turns up in the
    discussion, server size usually dicatates that only a *few* movies are
    going to be available--Which, as we've seen, usually means This Month's
    DVD/HBO licensees, overexposed "default" family or action titles we've
    already seen a hundred times, or other such condescending delusions of
    what studios think real viewers watch.

    And anyone who regularly rents movies under their own power knows, a
    majority of experienced Netflix'ers prefer movies that DON'T show up
    this month on HBO...In looking for something we haven't already seen in
    theaters, if that, we'd rather look up a Criterion, or catch up on our
    Lost reruns, or engage in any other actual expression of cinematic
    curiosity that doesn't have to have Will Smith in it.

    So, the biggest speed bump to downloads is what it's always been:
    Smart People watching movies that they want to see, instead of Gullible
    Idiots who think it's "neat" that they don't have to go to Blockbuster.

    Derek Janssen (darn those Smart People for ruining everything!)

    Derek Janssen, May 28, 2008