Another sony problem : TVs won't turn off

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    yeah, this is about what you'd expect from Sony these days.

    -goro-

    OKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp. said on Tuesday that about 400,000
    Bravia brand liquid crystal display (LCD) and rear-projection TVs
    launched last year may malfunction due to faulty software.

    A Sony spokeswoman said that after 1,200 hours of use the TVs may not
    be able to be turned off or switched out of stand-by-mode.

    She said the TVs were sold in Japan, the United States, South America,
    China and other Asian countries.

    The software for those sets receiving digital or cable broadcasts can
    be upgraded automatically but Sony must dispatch a person to fix those
    TVs that are receiving analog signals, the spokeswoman said.

    She declined to comment on how much it would cost to fix the problem.

    The number of TVs affected comes to about 10 percent of the 4.2 million
    LCD and rear-projection TVs Sony is aiming to sell in the current
    business year to March.

    Sony has enjoyed strong sales of its Bravia brand TVs since launching
    them worldwide late last year, taking market share from LCD rival Sharp
    Corp. in the United States market during the key year-end holiday
    season.

    Goro, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Mercellus Bohren, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Goro

    alicamdun Guest

    <snip>

    "The instrument (the telescreen, it was called) could be dimmed,
    but there was no way of shutting it off completely." ($1 to Orwell)

    -Tom Enright

    alicamdun, Feb 15, 2006
  4. Mine were torn away back in the 80s.

    Kimba W. Lion, Feb 15, 2006
  5. Goro

    James Guest

    There are people who still think that????

    James, Feb 15, 2006
  6. What makes you say this?

    My experience:

    Currently, I have a Sony WEGA CRT that displays 1080i HD. I have yet to
    see a display that looks with the quality and depth of HD on a SONY CRT
    display.
    My 1st generation Sony PS1 is still works.
    My 1st generation Sony PS2 still works.
    I have a couple of Sony components in my sound system rack that are
    around 20 years old. I'm no audiophile, but, I have yet to replace
    these items because they still work really well.

    Mercellus Bohren, Feb 15, 2006
  7. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Sony 36" WEGA CRTs (SD) had a noted dispay problem related to (IIRC)
    having both component plugs and SVideo connected simoulatenously.

    Grand Wega rear-projection TVs had noted black-level issues.

    Sony DVD players after the DVP-S7000 had/have the chroma upsample
    error.

    Sony 1080p SXRD do not have 1080p inputs.

    ### ROOTKIT ###

    IME, Sony used to have quality components and have thrived on that
    reputation FAR longer than they deserve to. Now, their electronics are
    equivalent to any other electronics company, no better not really worse
    (except their WEGA CRTs were teh best, imo). But their marketing
    would lead you to believe they are the bestest evahr (you know, like
    Bose!).

    Anecdotally, I've had several friends get screwed by Sony policies
    regarding PCs (without registering, you don't get warranty or
    something?) and others.

    -goro-

    Goro, Feb 15, 2006
  8. Yes, but I'm ready to be re-educated.
    What's the quality electronics company these days?

    Mercellus Bohren, Feb 15, 2006
  9. Goro

    AZ Nomad Guest

    I think they're the same people who think Bose are great speakers -- people
    who only know from the marketing hype they read.

    I've done a bit of repair of consumer electronics going back to the 70's,
    and it was in the 80's where sony obviously switched to a company philosophy
    of maximum profits no matter how unreliable their products became. I've
    seen sony do stuff that would embarass a fly by night asian company.
    Things like internal connectors that can only be used once; sheets of
    plastic to keep a circuit board from shorting out against a metal case instead
    of using three tenth of a penny spacers. Who cares if the plastic wears out
    and the board shorts out if it'll probably last to the end of the warranty
    period? sci.electronics.repair is full of sony horror stories.

    AZ Nomad, Feb 15, 2006
  10. Goro

    Agent_C Guest

    Interesting parallel to a problem I have with a Toshiba DVD player.

    If the unit is not used for more than 48 hours, it won't power-on with
    the remote on/off button OR the power button on the unit itself. I
    have to disconnect the power cord and plug it in again.

    I dare not send it in for repair, for obvious reasons.

    A_C

    Agent_C, Feb 15, 2006
  11. Goro

    Agent_C Guest

    No Highs... No Lows... GOTTA BE BOSE!

    A_C

    Agent_C, Feb 15, 2006
  12. If I were going to go and buy consumer electronics components today,
    where should I put my dollars?

    Mercellus Bohren, Feb 15, 2006
  13. Goro

    Dennis Guest

    overall? Matsushita.
    --

    If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

    "People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfeld
    "Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" - Will Durant
    "We are drowning in information, while starving for wisdom." - E.O. Wilson
    "the glass is not only half full the first half was delicious" --Me
    To Reply: Scrape off the end bits...

    Dennis, Feb 15, 2006
  14. Goro

    Dennis Guest

    I have a Toshiba DVD that does that too, then I picked up a Phillips
    that can play just about any optical based disc you put in it's tray
    including MPG's encoded w/ DIVX... will be buying a second for my
    other TV.

    Dennis, Feb 15, 2006
  15. Goro

    Agent_C Guest

    What model number?

    A_C

    Agent_C, Feb 15, 2006
  16. Goro

    Agent_C Guest

    Plastics my boy... Plastics!

    A_C

    Agent_C, Feb 15, 2006
  17. Goro

    Goro Guest

    i would go item by item and do some research before each purchase. It
    seems that just about all of the electronics companies put out crap as
    well as some good stuff; it's just that just about anythign at BestBuy
    is cheap crap.

    -goro-

    Goro, Feb 15, 2006
  18. Goro

    AZ Nomad Guest

    I would disagree with that. There's nothing wrong with toshiba TVs or
    onkyo receivers, for example.

    I do agree with your first statement about doing research before each
    purchase. Even sony makes some damn excellant gear; just stay the
    hell away from stuff that sony has tried to make as cheap as possible.

    AZ Nomad, Feb 15, 2006
  19. Goro

    Justin Guest

    An wally world has crap even best buy rejects.

    Justin, Feb 15, 2006
  20. Goro

    Guest Guest

    ....but there is so much beautiful exagerated midrange...

    Guest, Feb 15, 2006