    user also has a Netgear hub his PC is attached to. Would I need to
    configure his switch port (Cisco 2950) for half duplex? I read
    something to this effect but cannot locate the doc I was reading. TIA

    cdub, Jul 20, 2003

  2. :I have a user that complained of slow connectivity/download and when I
    :checked the port status, he had CRC errors. I then found that the
    :user also has a Netgear hub his PC is attached to. Would I need to
    :configure his switch port (Cisco 2950) for half duplex? I read
    :something to this effect but cannot locate the doc I was reading. TIA

    You might have to force the port to half duplex. Hubs are always
    half duplex. (Switches can be full duplex.)

    Walter Roberson, Jul 20, 2003

  3. cdub

    Cisco_Kid Guest

    I would look for a possible cable problem first. Usually you can spot a
    duplex mismatch by looking for Runts and/or Giants and/or FCS errors. If
    your not seeing those and all you are seeing are CRC errors you might want
    to replace the patch cords between the data jack and Netgear hub and the
    cable between the Netgear port and the user's NIC card. Also, try running a
    ping to the default gateway and see if you're dropping any packets. CRCs
    without any other errors (in my experience) are almost always something
    physical. Maybe even the hub itself or any NIC card or cable attached to the
    hub.. As far as the switch settings go I would probably let it
    auto-negotiate.

    This is why I hate hubs so much. You don't really know if someone else on
    that hub is causing the problem (this is assuming that you have more than
    one user on the hub)

    Well, good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out.

    Cheers!

    Cisco_Kid

    Cisco_Kid, Jul 21, 2003
  4. cdub

    Rob Guest

    If you are using the NetGear FS104 hubs, they can only do half duplex.
    Most netgear switch/hubs that can do full duplex will have a duplex
    LED on them for each conenction. If that is the case I strongly
    recommend that you let them auto-negotiate and replace the cable. If
    it does not have a duplex LED, then it is half-duplex only, you should
    hard set the port to half in this case. You might also have to do the
    same for your NIC settings on the user's desktop.

    Rob, Jul 21, 2003
  5. :If you are using the NetGear FS104 hubs, they can only do half duplex.
    : Most netgear switch/hubs that can do full duplex will have a duplex
    :LED on them for each conenction.

    Which Netgear *hub* can do full duplex? The DS10x cannot; the
    EN10x don't seem to either. FS104 does not appear to exist (EN104 or
    FS105.)

    Walter Roberson, Jul 21, 2003
  6. cdub

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    I have a user that complained of slow connectivity/download and when I
    IMHO, Cisco's implementation of autonegotiation is pure crap. Manually
    set your interface to the speed/duplex you need for the hub (probably
    10/half, but possibly 100/half), and you'll likely be in business.

    After the recent IOS upgrade, both our routers and or upstream's routers
    had the interfaces reset to autonegotiation. Same thing - huge numbers of
    CRC errors, and tons of (40%+) packet loss.

    We manually set our interfaces to THE SAME SPEED THEY ALREADY HAD
    NEGOTIATED, blam. Problem solved. It still amazes me, having used an
    unbelievable number of "dumb/cheap/low-end" switches, hubs, and ethernet
    cards, I've never seen a single autonegotiation problem with anything but
    a Cisco. Maybe I've just been lucky all my life. : )

    Geez, I don't sound bitter, do I?

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Jul 21, 2003