Another net

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Jan 23, 2014.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Hactar Guest

    When I worked on my bike with my dad, he called one of these

    (used to adjust the rear shock absorbers) a spanner, or a
    "spanner-wrench", I forget. We're USans.
    Hactar, Jan 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

  2. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    In real life, it isn't really that way. Hardware store are not all
    that big, and all the different types of wrenches are going to be in
    the same area. So, you walk over there and pick out what you want.

    The "big box" stores like Home Depot are the same, but bigger.

    The only time the term itself would be a problem is if you wanted to
    borrow a tool from a neighbor. In that case, I'd ask for a monkey

    The only point I'm making is that many things, including tools, are
    called different things in different countries.
    Well, would you bother correcting the clerk? To me, it's more
    important to find what I want.

    Besides, what would you say to them if you wanted to buy the As far as I can tell, it's just a monkey wrench or pipe wrench. If it
    has notched jaws to grab onto a round pipe it's a monkey wrench. If
    it has smooth jaws to tighten a nut, then it's just an adjustable
    Yeah, but that's a Chinese site. They're covering the bases as far as
    terms by using monkey wrench and spanner and showing a photograph of
    Tony Cooper, Jan 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

  3. Tony Cooper

    Hactar Guest

    I haven't used one often enough that I know innately how it should work.
    So if one worked the "wrong" way, I might notice, but it shouldn't
    present much trouble. At least, I don't think it would, never having
    run into one.
    Hactar, Jan 25, 2014
  4. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    Hong-Kongese actually--not quite the same as Chinese (remember that Hong
    Kong was part of the British empire until not to long ago).
    J. Clarke, Jan 25, 2014
  5. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 6:34 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    Aren't the reverse threads used more in NZ & OX? ;-o
    PeterN, Jan 25, 2014
  6. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Glad you posted the link. I thought you were talking about tongs like
    this, which can easily lead to monkeying around.

    PeterN, Jan 25, 2014
  7. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    That... still doesn't explain this supposed "smiliarity of appearance"
    between a stillson and a monkey :)
    But the tool doesn't look identical. The "pipe pliers" use a screw to
    adjust the head, then you pinch the handles (hence "pliers") to tighten the
    grip around the pipe.

    The monkey wrench seems to be just a sort of adjustable wrench, where the
    grib around a pipe comes from the slanted jaws, or at least that's how it
    looks to me.
    Sandman, Jan 25, 2014
  8. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    I think that I am guilty of not making myself clear. The wrench that
    (IMO) bears a resemblance to a monkey is this one

    I did not mean to imply that the Stillson resembles a monkey. My intent
    was that due it its jaw moving roughly parallel to the handle and being
    adjusted with a screw roughly parallel to the handle, it was similar in
    layout to the one that looks like a monkey and so was associated with
    J. Clarke, Jan 25, 2014
  9. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Well, the jaws are notched or serrated or whatever you want to call
    it. That allows the jaws to grip the pipe.

    A monkey wrench has a long handle, so leverage adds to the function.
    The slip jaws allow the jaws to be re-placed over the pipe without
    adjustment or tightening, and reversing the motion allows them to
    loosen easily.

    The pipe pliers Jonas linked to are called "Lockjaws" or "Locking
    Pliers" here, but I've never personally seen a pair that large.
    Smaller ones are pretty standard in our workshops. I think mine are

    I imagine the market has decreased for monkey wrenches since lead pipe
    is seldom used anymore, and most pipe joints are glued instead of
    connected by screw threads. Still, I have one that gets use for
    various tasks.
    Tony Cooper, Jan 25, 2014
  10. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Jan 25, 2014
  11. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I plead "Thinko". I actually know pipes are not made out of lead, but
    "lead" came to mind before any other non-plastic material.
    Tony Cooper, Jan 26, 2014
  12. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Jan 26, 2014
  13. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Jan 26, 2014
  14. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/25/2014 9:07 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    I grew up in an old apartment house, where the pipes were soldered. I
    thought my parents stupid for telling me never to use hot water from the
    faucet for drinking. It took me a while to realize that the pipes were
    soldered, and that lead from the solder wa more quickly dissolved in hot
    water, than cold.
    As I got older, my parents got smarter.
    PeterN, Jan 26, 2014
  15. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    Ok, then Mr Clarke sent me off on a wild goose chase, since it was he who
    said that the Stillson was called monkey wrench due to appearance (still
    quoted above).
    Sandman, Jan 26, 2014
  16. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    If so, then I'm just missing the obvious or something. I can't see any
    similarity to a monkey in that design :)
    Sandman, Jan 26, 2014
  17. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, Jan 27, 2014
  18. Tony Cooper

    Hactar Guest

    Hactar, Jan 27, 2014
  19. Tony Cooper

    sid Guest

    sid, Jan 27, 2014
  20. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Feb 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.