Another First Time Buyer Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Fastfwd, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Fastfwd

    Fastfwd Guest

    Ok, I've been looking at what's available in digital cameras for a few weeks
    now and I'm still undecided. The researching is getting a little old. My
    intended purpose for a new camera will be to explore a little photography,
    but I am limited in funds and I would like my selection to be a safe bet for
    a point and shoot if I lose interest in creative photography. Plus, I'm
    getting a little anxious to just start shooting stuff - I know that may
    result in bigtime buyer's remorse later.

    I really need to be looking at cameras at or under $500. I was looking
    pretty hard at the Canon G6, but I'm afraid it may be just out of reach and
    possibly a little bigger than what I might end up wanting to carry. So,
    I've been eying the Canon S70. Seems that one can be had with a decent
    memory card for around the max of what I'm looking to spend.

    I have read reviews though that claim it to be nearly impossible to actually
    make use of some of the manual adjustments through the LCD on this camera in
    particular and I am assuming this may be somewhat true for all of these
    cameras (not to mention a poor review of the slide cover reliability). So,
    I'm wondering now, just what expectations should there be from one of these
    non slr-digital cameras? Are they really going to be able to be used to
    explore creative photography? At the price range that I'm looking is there
    a better alternative? Say, something that may not be as feature laden, but
    with even better picture quality or less money for comparable picture
    quality? I have looked at the pictures taken with several of the prospects
    over at Steve's Digicams and I LOVE the pictures the S70 takes. I mean
    there may be no rival in full auto mode with this camera. I don't really
    know. I'm really pretty sold on this S70, but it's a little bit expensive
    if the features end up being of no use.

    Anyway, before several more weeks of Spring are wasted looking at webpages
    for reviews - I'm asking here for advice. I appreciate you taking the time
    to respond. I hope that I've provided enough information to let you help
    guide me.

    --
    A sickened mind and spirit
    The mirror tells me lies

    THX 1138

    Fastfwd, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Fastfwd

    Fastfwd Guest

    I hope the assertion that the LCD isn't useful for manual adjustment wasn't
    without basis. I took it from the following review (4th down in the reviews
    section):

    http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/canon-powershot-s70-reviews.html

    '(2) The manual focus is very poor. The LED inset window used for focusing
    is so grainy and so dark that it is very difficult to know when the subject
    is in focus, and the autofocus assist to manual focus simply does not work
    well. After taking dozens of test shots, I have yet to get as sharp a focus
    using either the manual focus or the manual focus / autofocus assist as I
    get simply using the autofocus.'

    I honestly have no experience with photography. My intent is not to
    disparage digicams. The sentiments of this review raise concern though that
    the manual adjustments are difficult to use if not useless altogether.
    Please correct me if I am mistaken.

    Fastfwd, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Fastfwd

    DHB Guest

    Fastfwd,
    hate to toss another camera into the mix for you to consider
    but have you looked at Canon's A95? It's only 5MP but it's a great
    all around camera that may better meet "your" needs & it costs less.

    Additionally it takes 4 "AA" rechargeable NiMH batteries &
    lasts a very long time on them. The S70 is tempting especially if you
    have need of it's wider angle lens but if your just starting out than
    paying extra for a camera that offers "RAW" mode, may just be a waste
    of money. Yes I own the A95 & am very pleased with it. Also own a
    few other cameras including an A40 (2MP) & it's till working & gets
    used by me for certain things.

    Simple suggestion that I like to give is this:
    Go to http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html & download
    the sample picture of the white Marina Cafe from any camera that you
    are considering & look for digital noise (graininess) in the shaded
    area of the entrance. This is just a single oversimplified way to
    compare how well each camera deals with digital sensor noise.

    A good 5MP camera will easily produce nice 8x10 picture even
    if you need to crop the picture a little. Sometimes in the more MP
    race, more is not always better. Consider "your" needs & the 1.8"
    swivel LCD too. Does this camera meet "your" needs? Yes I considered
    both the S60 & the S70 before I ordered my A95. The wide angle lens
    would be nice at times as would the "RAW" mode but if I "need" those
    features, I usually know that in advance & will use my DSLR.

    Both a friend & a family member purchased an A95 based largely
    on my recommendation & both are very pleased with their choice.
    Ultimately, research it yourself, handle the finalists if possible &
    then go with what best meets "your needs".

    Best wishes with whatever digital camera you choose.

    Respectfully, DHB
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Apr 9, 2005
  4. Have you considered a used or discontinued digital off eBay? Your post
    indicates, at least between the lines, that you're an average
    snapshooter -- family and vacation photos, etc. -- and are only now
    considering photography seriously. So, just about any camera, film or
    digital, cheap or expensive, you get will be better than you are --
    photographically speaking. You don't need (or should even consider)
    buying a 5 or higher MP camera. Something in the 3 to 4 range will be
    more than good enough to start with. And, if you out grow it and move
    on, it will still be more than good enough for snapshots.

    I suggest you take a look at the Fuji Finepix F700. It's about a 2 year
    old model, a dual 3 or 6 MP sensor (read the reviews for the
    explanantion), a 35mm-105mm 35mm equivalent zoom, and lots of nice,
    usable features. Originally it sold new for about $600, but a quick
    check on eBay shows them going for around $200, even new ones.

    If you really want to bite-the-bullet and go with a DSLR right away,
    look at the Canon D30, used of course. They are no longer made. On
    eBay, they go for $250 to $400. Add a Sigma 18-50 f3.5-5.6 DC lens for
    about $100 new, and you've got a serious camera that turns out great
    quality shots even if it's only a 3MP. Its APS-C sized sensor gives it
    a great advantage over the much smaller sensor used in P&Ss. This is
    what I bought after owning two P&Ss, a 2 and 3MP. The 3MP one, an
    Olympus C-3030, I still use for snapshots.

    Stefan Patric, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Fastfwd

    ggg Guest

    avoid cameras too big to carry around with you all the time. The
    pleasure of the digicams are that you can not worry about wasting film
    but you'll never bring it out with you if it's too bulky. IT's just not
    worth paying that much for something you don't use as much.

    I own the G5 and I regret the purchase even though it is a very nice camera.

    ggg, Apr 14, 2005