Another closed-source vendor bites the dust

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Murray Symon Guest

    What's with the "they"? - wasn't it wholly developed by local Kiwi David
    Harris? BTW, for a long time it was my email client of choice.

    I know that in the past David had expressed concern at the increasing
    complexity of "email" as a medium - well beyond the original KISS
    approach. I haven't yet looked into his reasons for this latest
    announcement.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Er, so if this free email program had been ported to Linux the extra
    customers also not paying anything would...?

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 6, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 6/01/07 2.01 p:
    They didn't fail because they were closed-source (as you seem to imply),
    they failed because every computer and OS these days ships with a free
    (ie. no cost) email client that suits most users.

    Open or closed source has nothing to do with it.

    -Phil

    Phil, Jan 6, 2007
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Yup, that's the way with free software - surprise, surprise, people
    don't make any money...
    Why bother?

    Fred Dagg, Jan 6, 2007
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    It's not as easy as that. If there were a group ready to pick it up, it
    might work. Even open source needs a structure in place. You can't just
    plonk something on SourceForge and expect it to fly.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 6, 2007
  8. In case you hadn't noticed, your sentence is unfinished.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 6, 2007
  9. Let's all thank Micro$oft for killing Pagasus.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 6, 2007
  10. You can't know until you try, can you?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2007
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Blue Guest

    Suprise for you they do.

    Blue, Jan 6, 2007
  12. How many closed-source e-mail clients are still surviving? Eudora--funnily
    enough, switching to open source. Pegasus--now gone. Can you name any
    others? All that's left is Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express.

    By contrast, look at the number of open-source projects: Evolution,
    Thunderbird, Sylpheed, Kmail.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2007
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Indeed. I merely said "It's not as easy as that"...

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 6, 2007
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bobs Guest

    Novell Groupwise.

    Bobs, Jan 6, 2007
  15. In case you haven't noticed, you didn't answer the question.

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 6, 2007
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    No, it's the user that survive Groupwise.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 6, 2007
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Very few.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 6, 2007
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Yup, that's all most people use.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 6, 2007
  19. There wasn't a question - there was a half-finished statement.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 6, 2007
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    I'm not familiar enough with Windows e-mail clients to comment on them.
    Does Lotus Notes count as an e-mail client?

    Microsoft has basically made in uneconomical for anyone else to develop
    a commercial mail client for Windows, since Outlook Express is good
    enough for most people (and comes with the operating system), and
    Outlook owns the larger scale business market. Same situation as with
    web browsers - all the commercial browsers are dead, because Microsoft
    killed the market by giving away Internet Explorer for free.

    In that environment, only open source products can survive. This isn't
    because open source is inherently better than closed source. It is
    because a monopoly squashed all the competition, and nobody can make
    money by selling an e-mail client or web browser, because it is too hard
    to convince potential customers to buy a product when they are handed
    one for free. As open source mail clients and web browsers get better,
    this increases the disincentive to buy a commercial product, as there is
    likely to be a free one which is good enough and which has the desired
    set of features.

    On the Mac, Apple Mail is supplied with Mac OS X, and it is roughly
    equivalent to Outlook Express. It is good enough for the average user
    who doesn't want too many bells and whistles. It is also killing off all
    the low-end e-mail software. Only high end commercial e-mail clients
    with advanced features are surviving.

    On the Mac, I'm aware of Gyazmail and Mailsmith, but I'm not very
    familiar with them. Microsoft supplies Entourage as part of Office for
    the Mac. It is the rough equivalent of Outlook. I gather it is missing
    some rather major features of Outlook (but is a lot more powerful than
    Outlook Express or Apple Mail).

    I use Eudora, and I paid for it (a few years ago). I'm waiting to see
    what happens with the open source version before deciding what to do
    next. For now, I'm happy with the final version of Eudora. I haven't
    investigated the alternatives, but Apple Mail isn't good enough for my
    needs.

    David Empson, Jan 6, 2007