Anonymous Services - Can We Get A List Going And Feedback?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by DasFox, Jan 29, 2011.

  1. DasFox

    DasFox Guest

    Forget Canada they have to close of ties to the USA and are
    practically in bed with them and as far as Germany is concerned,
    there's hardly a place in Europe worth trusting too...

    Here is about as good of a list as you are going to find. This map is
    better, and more up to date. I just wish it gave more information
    about why each state received the ranking it did.

    https://secure.cryptohippie.com/pubs/EPS-2010.pdf

    I've read this before, that doesn't really tell us much from a VPN
    standpoint...

    Judging from what I've seen and learned over the last 20 years, I'd
    take a bet that New Zealand and Iceland as probably two of the better
    places to run a VPN from...

    THANKS

    P.S. Something I just ran across;
    http://www.laquadrature.net/en/icela...-communication
    --
    These are dark times, there is no denying. Our Tech world has perhaps
    faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this to my

    DasFox, Jan 29, 2011

  2. DasFox

    DasFox Guest

    Xerobank is SHIT...or shite for Brits...
    --
    THANKS

    DasFox, Jan 29, 2011

  3. DasFox

    DasFox Guest

    Good Tech but HARD Tech...add Tor...tough for noobs...

    Still worthy of mention...

    THANKS

    DasFox, Jan 29, 2011
  4. Yeah, he can join your other Mossad connection Amir Szekely, the
    prolific Android gamer *rofl*

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 29, 2011
  5. DasFox

    DasFox Guest

    As far as the IP goes, of course just because people can see your IP
    that doesn't mean they know who you are...

    They just know where you come from and you've EXPOSED yourself to
    risks...,

    Because now with an IP they can target you to see how strong the box
    is against attacks...

    If you want to protect that box then you protect that IP...SIMPLE...

    And make it not so easy to find, this is all I'm going on about when
    it comes to Internet security and so on...

    Hide the IP, then you're not exposed to internet threats of any types
    you can imagine...

    I assumed as GEEKS when I talked about this post everyone had a
    clue...

    As Geeks you should know that if you want to get hacked you expose
    your IP and Ports...,

    That's all there is to it...when it comes to loosing your privacy and
    anonymity and that's the LEVEL I was coming from...

    Protecting that privacy and anonymity, PROTECTING THAT IP...!

    HIDE THE IP, PROTECT THE PORTS!

    Now with this understanding this is why I was looking at using a VPN
    to hide my IP behind... for this simple reason of not hacving it so
    easily exposed...

    THANKS

    DasFox, Jan 29, 2011
  6. You repeatedly fail to absorb what several other posters before have
    educated you to. Your IP is "out there" on a daily basis by automated
    aggressors who attack through IP address after IP address.

    Puhleeese, don't throw your usual "no Dynamic IP" tantrum, these
    addresses are not unusual in many ISP connections using MAC addresses
    to which they validate your account. DSL connections are notorious
    for dynamic IP assignment.

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 29, 2011
  7. DasFox

    katio Guest

    Sorry to say this but you got it wrong. That's absolutely not how it
    works.

    As long as you don't have an IPv6 address there is no point in hiding
    one's IP. There's only a limited pool of public IPv4 addresses and
    they are constantly hammered by automated attacks, all of them. Even
    if that wasn't the case you most likely got a dynamic IP and whoever
    had this IP assigned to before probably didn't use a VPN...

    Don't keep any services running facing the internet. If you do make
    sure you use a strong MAC system, up to date software and preferably
    white list allowed IPs. There really isn't much to worry with the
    default home setup these days. OSs got good firewall rules ootb and
    pretty much everyone uses a router with NAT.

    If you come out stealth here with your home IP you are as secure
    against these sort of threats as it gets:

    http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    It's different with targeted attacks but I don't think that's part of
    your threat model. If you have one other than "all them out thar", you
    stupid git.

    katio, Jan 29, 2011
  8. DasFox

    DasFox Guest

    No I don't have it wrong...

    Most ISPs where I live do not hand out static IPs for Broadband, of
    course they are dynamic, BUT those Dynamic IPs stay with you for 30-45
    days...or LIFE...

    With your IP out there and a cheapy firewall, you can be owned...

    There's a VERY BIG point to hiding your IP and not exposing it and I
    can't believe you don't think so...

    How do you think people get hacked and what you don't think boxes
    don't get hacked anymore? Of course they do...

    Also if you come out stealth here with your home IP you are NOT as
    secure against these sort of threats as it gets...

    Windows has a firewall and using it will make you stealth YET that is
    not as good as it gets...

    Maybe because you used the word HOME user you think that this makes it
    ok and it is good enough? Yes for a lot of average users that may be
    true, but in todays world with all the changes over the past 20 years
    I don't believe as a Tech that the Windows firewall is good enough
    anymore...

    Even for Grandma just surfing the web and emailing the grandchildern,
    her box can be hacked and used to commit crimes, so in that sense, no
    it's not just as good as it gets...

    THANKS
    --
    Gays make sick attempt at Harry Potter
    http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/reviews/potters-stick/big.jpg

    DasFox, Jan 29, 2011
  9. Good enough against who? Who is your adversary? Which ver of Windoz,
    which firewall, how is it configured? Take your dick out of your ear
    unless you are trying to stir your brainz with it. lol

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 29, 2011
  10. DasFox

    DasFox Guest

    Who says I don't understand that you hack a different OS in a
    different way...?

    You are certainly not gaining access to Unix like you would Windows
    and also all the different firewalls...,

    What you think I'm CLUELESS here?"

    THANKS

    DasFox, Jan 29, 2011
  11. You passed on answering the question. MOF, I can't make hide nor hair
    out of how your answer above correlates with my rather straightforward
    query, what do you think I am clueless here?
    Welcome Mr. AssClown

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 29, 2011
  12. DasFox

    DasFox Guest

    What question?

    And this is starting to go around in circles and is getting silly...

    We're suppose to be GEEKS on a SECURITY forum...

    I'm not here taking cooking lessons and I'm a TECH Geek that
    understands a lot and who also doesn't know everything...,

    BUT show me the person who does know everything because there is no
    such person....

    THANKS

    DasFox, Jan 29, 2011
  13. You're shitting me?
    What an insufferably ignorant AssClown you are.

    Ari Silverstein, Jan 29, 2011
  14. DasFox

    DasFox Guest

    You said to me..;

    *No but you passed on answering the question...*

    That's why I said what question...?

    And that's why I said all the things I said about this all getting
    silly and being Geeks and all...

    So was this the question(s) you are still looking for...?

    Good enough against who? Who is your adversary? Which ver of Windoz,
    which firewall, how is it configured...?

    And if so, then I said I understand all these complexities and you
    said good...,

    Because I'm the only one, which was silly too, because a lot of Geeks
    understand all this...,

    So why answer something like this when Geeks on this forum... you
    being one and me also, need to answer it when we should know, at least
    I do, don't you...?

    THANKS

    DasFox, Jan 29, 2011
  15. DasFox

    Andriod Guest

    Your entire "philosophy" when it comes to on line safety is fubar. Your
    basic premise is wrong. Hiding your IP address is both a losing battle, and
    unnecessary. Nor will it protect you.

    Having your IP address exposed isn't a problem at all. Having ports open
    is. And as ironic as it may be, some of the things people try to do to hide
    their IP addresses help locate them. If you have open ports the BadGuys(tm)
    WILL find them. By way of random scans if nothing else. When they do find
    them, they'll probe/attack them. If you're weak and the attacker strong,
    you're owned. Simple math any "tech" should understand.

    No, the whole secret to keeping yourself safe from port-based attacks is
    not having anything available to attack. that means either one of two
    things:

    1) Don't have ANY open ports. Firewall them off, hide behind NAT, whatever.
    But simply having nothing at all listening for any connection attempts will
    ALWAYS keep you safe.

    2) If you have to have exposed ports, choose well tested and frequently
    updated software to listen on them. Not perfect like not running any
    publically available services, but it's the "best case" if you must.

    As far as IP hiding goes, it's advantageous to obfuscate things in specific
    scenarios but it certainly isn't any sort of solution. Tunnels, proxies,
    and such can do the deed, but said proxy at the very least knows all, and
    proxies are so notorious for leaking information directly, or indirectly by
    way of user screwups, that they're not to be trusterd for anything but the
    most superficial protection. In fact the only real scenario in which IP
    hiding is necessary, is anonymity. If you're striving for something like
    that, it's a must. Which is why anonymity is so fragile. :-(
    No problem. Always happy to straighten out noobs. :)

    Andriod, Jan 29, 2011
  16. DasFox

    Andriod Guest

    So called "stealth" is nothing but snake oil, and Gibson is a fraud.

    There's HOARDS of script kiddies and their zombie machines out there, right
    this moment, spewing random packets out across the net looking for the
    "black holes" Gibson's idiocy creates. When a packet simply "disappears" as
    per Gibson's flapdoodle, they know for a fact the person on the other end
    is clueless, and most likely doesn't have a secure system.

    Andriod, Jan 29, 2011
  17. DasFox

    katio Guest

    Yes, you could call successfully selling snake oil "to be on the up
    and up"... It's still snake oil, so what's your point?
    All of which I have said several times in this thread, you gloriously
    disingenuous bastard.

    katio, Jan 29, 2011
  18. DasFox

    Android Guest

    Sure you do...
    So what? Having a more or less static IP address is a GOOD thing if you're
    smart. Saves you from having to deal with the aftermath of the previous
    owner and his P2P antics or soch.
    The best firewall in the world is free. And even lesser firewalls are
    perfectly capable of spitting back "unreachable" packets in response to
    anonymous requests. Just like boundary equipment does when the host being
    probed actually DOESN'T exist.

    Yes, Gibson's machine hiding snake oil is little more than security theater
    designed to dupe the masses. Nonexistent machines don't eat packets,
    something actually SAYS they're not there. So when packets magically
    disappear it's a sure sign there's a machine at that IP address. And one
    owned by a noob at that. :(
    I can't believe there's still people out there who are so willing to
    swallow whatever bile a media whore like Gibson vomits up.
    Actually, port hacking like you're describing accounts for almost ZERO
    successful attacks. But don't let little things like facts bother you.

    [...]
    It's fine, as software firewalls go. It's also completely unnecessary in
    modern times with modern equipment. I don't think there's an off the shelf
    router on the market that doesn't include a firewall these days. That and
    NAT alone make your machine completely invisible to the outside.
    Things like "stealth" aren't just not good enough, or "good as it gets",
    they're worse than doing nothing in a lot of scenarios. And completely
    meaningless in the rest.

    Android, Jan 29, 2011
  19. DasFox

    Android Guest

    Um.... sorry, wrong again. You're not doin so well today kiddo.

    The simple truth of the matter is that Windows and *nix are pretty much
    attacked and compromised the same way these days. Since the dawn of "cross
    platform" development and things like web standards, the lines have been
    blurring and the attacks more service or software specific. IOW, neither OS
    is really attacked so much these days, as the software underneath it and
    the messed up configurations of the admins above it are.
    Well, yeah... you've pretty much demonstrated that beyond any doubt. :)

    Android, Jan 29, 2011
  20. DasFox

    Anonymous Guest

    So yer sayin yer not a geek...