Annoying problem in outlook and word and probably every office product?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    I have noticed that if I have some mapped network drives to lets say
    computer b and computer b is turned off if I try and open a file in
    outlook the file browser stalls for like 30 seconds to 1 minute while it
    seems to try and access the mapped drives. I have no idea why as I am
    not even trying to access those drives and it does this each time i go
    into a folder on a local drive drive so If I want to attach a picture
    that is buried in like 4 subfolders, each subfolder I have to click to
    go into it stalls for 30 seconds to a minute for each one as it seems to
    be wanting to do something with the mapped connections even though they
    have nothing to do with what im doing as im not even accessing those
    drives.... what stupidity is this? The problem existed in outlook 2000
    and seems to be there in 2003 also and I have just noticed the same
    thing in microsoft word.

    If I delete the mappings everything is instant. I have googled around
    and noticed plenty of people moaning about this but wasn't able to find
    a solution, has anyone else seen this and found a solution? and why the
    hell does it do this stupid behaviour anyway??

    Nova, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Nova

    impossible Guest

    Why map a network drive that's persistently turned off? Instead,
    access what you need when you need it via My Network Places. If the
    machine you is want is unavailable, you'll get a message telling you
    so, but the delay issues you describe will be gone. Using any of the
    MS office apps, you can also create network shortcuts right in the
    Open or Insert File dialog boxes.

    Alternatively, reset your mapping so that there's no attempt to
    automatically reconnect at logon -- the network drive string will be
    preserved in a drop-down list, so then it's easy to map the drive when
    you need it and when you know the machine is running. This will also
    eliminate the delays.

    impossible, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Seems like a not so good work around, no other applications have the
    problem of trying to access the mapped drives unless i direct them to
    it. Outlook/Word have never used anything on those mapped drives and
    yet they constantly seem to be trying to read them even when im browsing
    through directories on a local drive..

    I map a drive because a lot of times I need access to the drive and
    usually the drive is there sometimes it is off yes and then I have these
    stupid problems (only with the mentioned products). I was hoping
    someone might have a real fix for the problem.

    Thanks for the idea though..

    Nova, Aug 3, 2006
  4. Nova

    impossible Guest

    Ok. Thing is, most people don't actually have this problem. If they
    did, I'm sure you'd have no trouble Googling a clear-cut solution. For
    example -- even if I deliberately disconnect a mapped network drive on
    my sustem, I experience no more than a 3-second delay in Outlook (or
    Word ) when I try to access a file on that drive before I get a
    message telling me the drive is unavailable. Otherwise, if I'm not
    specifically trying to acess that drive, I experience no delays
    whatsoever.

    So rather than focusing on a perceived design flaw with Windows or the
    Office apps, I suggest you that you consider some network
    configuration problem ....or else try one of my work-arounds.
    As I said before, you don't need to map a network drive to have ready
    access to it -- either in applications or in Explorer. And since
    you're obviously suffering from other problems that slow your network
    down, you might want to rethink your commitment to drive mapping.
    As you can probably tell from all the "moaning" about this problem,
    it's not something that's likely to be fixed short of a through
    inspection of your system. There are just too many things that can go
    wrong.

    impossible, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Nova

    Craig Shore Guest

    If you're running firewall software, try turning it off. It's what does it to
    me.

    Craig Shore, Aug 3, 2006
  6. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Well googling I found tons of pages with people experiencing the same
    problem the solution given was to remove the mappings.
    If no other software suffers this problem and yet microsoft office and
    outlook do suffer it, you don't think its a design flaw?

    You don't think its a design flaw that its trying to access a network
    drive when I am not even doing anything with the network drive? and you
    don't think its a design flaw that each time i go deeper into
    subdirectories its still trying to access the network drive each time
    even when im using a local drive?

    If that is not a design flaw I don't know what is.

    For
    Who said anything about suffering from other network problems? i never
    said anything of the sort. The network is functioning perfect except 2
    microsoft products seem to want to access network drives that are
    disconnected and even if they were connected why is it trying to access
    them anyway?

    Nova, Aug 3, 2006
  7. Nova

    impossible Guest

    Sounds like you're more interested in grizzling about Microsoft than
    you are in solving a problem. If you want to jump on that hobby horse,
    you're on your own.

    impossible, Aug 3, 2006
  8. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Again you seem to be jumping to conclusions... I was simply responding
    to your posts that seemed to be jumping to all sorts of conclusions
    about what my network must be doing (apparently it was going slow etc)
    just like this message has. I was merely hoping that someone had a
    _proper_ solution. I have in the end turned off the mappings however :)
    and am awaiting feedback on some other users on a forum that are waiting
    on a response from microsoft on the issue.

    take it easy

    Nova, Aug 3, 2006
  9. Nova

    MaHogany Guest

    You are observing a classic Micro$oft stupidism caused by the inability of
    M$ Windows to do more than one thing at a time.

    If you have set up a share to another computer, why is that other computer
    switched off?

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Aug 4, 2006
  10. Nova

    Enkidu Guest

    I don't think this is normal. I have shares set up to a number of
    machines on the network, and several may be off at any one time. I've
    noticed no slowdown when browsing to a file on server that *IS* online
    at the time.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2006