    since I installed my new system, i keep getting annoying pop ups, telling me
    how to get rid of em,always from the same site, has anyone else had this
    prob, i think i had em on my old system, but forget how to stop em

    dave, Jul 3, 2003

  2. dave

    Unk Guest

    Disabling Windows Messenger Service PopUp SPAM
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml
    http://www.crawford100.fsbusiness.co.uk/support/windows_messenger.htm

    How to stop Messenger SPAM: Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage", Select "Services and
    Applications" in the left panel, then double-click "services" in the
    right panel. Scroll down the right pane until you see "messenger",
    double click it and click the stop button, click "Apply", "OK"

    http://www.clankiller.com/tech/WinXP/misctweaks.php
    http://www.lantalk.net/disable_messenger.php
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089

    "Shoot The Messenger" utility for Windows NT/2000/XP
    http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

    Disable/Enable/Remove Windows Messenger in XP

    The messenger service is not the problem. The real problem
    is the fact that you are not running a firewall, or if you
    are, you haven't blocked ports 137-139.

    Disabling the messenger service will stop the popups, but if
    you have file and print sharing bound to your external TCP/IP
    connection, then you could also potentially be sharing your
    entire hard disk with the world since netBIOS uses ports 137-139.

    Check your security here: http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    Here's an example of how they send those messages using NetSend.
    http://www.lantalk.net/netsend.php
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/winpopup.htm

    Unk

    Unk, Jul 4, 2003

  3. dave

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop5.htm#3

    Plato, Jul 4, 2003
  4. dave

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    There are 3 potential sources of pop-ups. Messenger pop-ups are one, the
    other is spyware and the last would be web-based pop-ups. Here are some
    links to help with each.

    Messenger pop-ups:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;330904
    http://www.stopmessengerspam.com/

    Spyware:

    http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=39275,00.asp

    I use Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Browser web pop-ups. These are windows that pop-up or under your browser
    window while surfing. I use Free Surfer mk II (works with IE):

    http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen//FS/Download.htm

    Fuzzy Logic, Jul 4, 2003