    good idea? Can I fix the problem myself, with some education, or
    should I seek professional help?

    Muchos gracias, amigos.

    Jock, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Get Ad-Aware and SpyBot search and Destroy, and MS have a Spyware cleaner as
    well now. Then make a good HOSTS file to block any sites that aren't
    covered yet by those cleaners. I'll email you my HOSTS file if you want it.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Jock

    Miles Ahead Guest

    I'd try AVG 7 anti-virus freeware first:
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

    Install, download the latest updates, then do complete
    system scans until clean.

    Search this group for more anti-virus anti-trojan and
    anti-spyware freeware links.

    Also this is a good site for some good PC freeware recommendations:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

    Trouble is, a lot of this scumware doesn't tell you it's lurking on
    your machine. So the only way you know it's there is if you
    do a scan with a variety of anti-trojan anti-virus and anti-spyware
    apps. You might devise a strategy of daily quick scans
    and weekly complete scans or whatever and adjust it until
    it keeps most of the crap off your PC. AVG resident shield
    will help. Plus it scans your email to reduce the chances
    of a virus coming in through an email attachment.

    Good luck.

    Miles Ahead, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Sorry, I don't even know what a HOSTS file is. Can you enlighten me,
    please?

    Jock, Jul 16, 2005
  5. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Can you explain
    what an "AVG resident shield" is, please?

    Jock, Jul 16, 2005
  6. Jock

    Jock, Jul 16, 2005
  7. Jock

    Toolman Tim Guest

    www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

    And if were to search the Internet (I recommend searches using
    www.google.com) for "hosts file" you'll get enough information to write a
    book.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 16, 2005
  8. Jock

    Miles Ahead Guest

    Why not go to the site with the software?
    They already wrote the explanation.

    Miles Ahead, Jul 16, 2005
  9. Jock

    Toolman Tim Guest

    AVG is an anti-virus program. If you already have AV installed on your
    computer, don't worry about it. All major AV programs run "in the
    background" watching every file you open, close, email, etc. for virus type
    activity. AVG calls their "in the background" component "Resident Shield".
    Other AV programs have other names for thouse.

    The advantage of AVG is it's free. The disadvantage is perhaps it is less
    reliable than other brands of AV software.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 16, 2005
  10. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Gracias. I hate doing homework, but I guess I'll have to. And it's
    summer vacation too! :-(

    Jock, Jul 16, 2005
  11. Jock

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
    it can be analyzed.

    HijackThis

    pcbutts1, Jul 16, 2005
  12. Jock

    Jock Guest

    Thanks for all the helpful information. I am still doing research on
    the various solutions proposed. Perhaps I am too careful -- or too
    stupid, still -- but does it matter which order you follow in
    downloading the first three fixes? From what I have seen surfing a bit
    elsewhere it seems that multiple fixes are necessary to keep the
    computer clean over the long run.

    Jock, Jul 17, 2005
  13. Jock

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Order is not really important. I usually install SpywareBlaster first, and
    get that set up. Then Spybot Search and destroy - install, update, run. Then
    AdAware. That's because of time: SpywareBlaster sets up and finishes
    fastest, Spybot S&D is next fastest, and AdAware is the longest scan (not
    allways, but typically). That way I can go do something else during the
    longer scans.

    You are correct - multiple programs are currently needed. I usually see
    something in each program - things the other program aren't trained to
    catch. And that's partly because of confusion about what consists of
    "malware". Some people don't consider one thing as a threat, yet someone
    else does. Personally, I say "If I didn't install it myself, I don't want it
    on my computer". So whatever the scans find has got to go <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 17, 2005
  14. I tried to download the MS Windows AntiSpyware, but got an Error
    message -- Error 1402 - Hkey Local
    Machine\software\MS\windows\CurrentVersion\Run. The download stopped
    and self-deleted. What's with that?

    JockfromTheRock, Jul 17, 2005