    Liberator Guest

    I keep getting a pop up for INFO.COM even when I'm not on the net.
    My pop up killer program can't stop it. What can I do to stop this?

    Liberator, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Liberator

    Boomer.. Guest

    Liberator said:
    Have you used any of these?

    Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
    security/privacy issues.
    http://security.kolla.de/

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    Spyware Blaster

    Info on above and more.

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    --Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    --Other software--
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Boomer.., Aug 30, 2003

  3. Liberator

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' dropdown, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q302089

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    °Mike°, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Liberator

    Mike0000 Guest

    Try a different pop-up stopper. The new google toolbar has a spyware-free
    version and does a good job. Or you can use Mozilla like I do.

    Mike0000, Aug 30, 2003
  5. Liberator

    Mike0000 Guest

    Oh, if its happeneing when you're not on the net get Ad Aware and run it
    ASAP.

    Mike0000, Aug 30, 2003
  6. Liberator

    Mike0000 Guest

    Windows ME doesnt have a messenger service.

    Mike0000, Aug 30, 2003
  7. Liberator

    Mike0000 Guest

    If you already have ad aware and installed it before the last month or so,
    uninstall it and get the new build. I dont think they're even giving updates
    out to old build users.

    Mike0000, Aug 30, 2003
  8. Liberator

    °Mike° Guest

    Do'h! I missed that.

    °Mike°, Aug 30, 2003
  9. Liberator

    Liberator Guest

    Thanks for the responses. I downloaded Ad-ware 6.0. Ran a complete
    scan. It cleaned it out.

    Liberator, Aug 31, 2003