Announcement: new DoF calculator available for download

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jens Regge, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. What do you expect from a Martian air traffic controller? They're used to
    squeluooms as units of distance.

    Roger Whitehead, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Ah, but what about Whitworth? I assume the fittings on my cheap
    Raleigh bicycle are Whitworth, since no metric or English wrench I
    have will fit exactly.

    Stephen H. Westin, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Of course. But I bet there are more Cessnas out there than Airbuses.
    I heard a wonderful anecdote (from a Plessey employee) about that. It
    seems that RR and P&W entered into a joint development program, where
    one would build the front part of the engine, with the other supplying
    the back. Well, Pratt & Whitney shipped their part over. They had
    taken into account the English/metric problem, since RR is metric and
    the Americans used inches. So everything bolted together
    nicely. Unfortunately, they had ignored the fact that the direction of
    rotation is opposite on different sides of the Atlantic, so it blew
    sky high on the test stand when they tried to start it for the first
    time.

    Anyway, I was trying to think of mechanical systems that remain in
    service longer than automobiles. Think of how old some elevator
    systems are!

    <snip>

    Stephen H. Westin, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Could you do that again, in guineas? :)

    Stephen H. Westin, Oct 8, 2004
  5. At Ford, I heard stories of working with the Taunus/Cortina body drawing.
    It seems that this was the first real joint program involving the UK and
    Germany, so there were two sets of grid lines: on 5-inch centers and 100mm
    centers!

    Stephen H. Westin, Oct 8, 2004
  6. Jens Regge

    Big Bill Guest

    Do you have a need for them, or are they just fillers in the "Full
    Featured 385 piece tool set"?

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 8, 2004
  7. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    I know of one fellow who when told he'd have to pay duty, put his car in
    reverse, parked by the side of the road, opened a bottle, swigged from the neck
    for about a glass worth and dumped the rest in the ditch. That got him down to
    the permisible 2 bottles...

    Alan Browne, Oct 8, 2004
  8. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    Nothing beats base 2.

    Alan Browne, Oct 8, 2004
  9. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    Get up to date please, they switched to the adnak sytem decades ago.

    Alan Browne, Oct 8, 2004
  10. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest

    ....and I thought the problem was the differece in size between
    Imperial and US squeluooms.

    :)

    Peter Chant, Oct 8, 2004
  11. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest

    I don't think so, mine is a Halfords so fairly cheap but I don't
    think it is the 385 piece range of tool kits.

    Peter Chant, Oct 8, 2004
  12. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest

    I bet learning your 59 times table at school was a bugger.

    Peter Chant, Oct 8, 2004
  13. It's just the 6 times table with a minor adjustment of course - but
    learning the 16 times table at age 8 certainly came in handy later in life
    - as did knowing 3/4 as a fraction of a pound. ;-)

    John Cartmell, Oct 8, 2004
  14. Jens Regge

    kashe Guest

    I think I was in my teens before I figured out a fifth of
    whiskey was a fifth of a gallon -- just a short quart.

    kashe, Oct 8, 2004
  15. Jens Regge

    Mick Guest

    No, Cycle Engineers' Institute Standard Thread
    Tip: an adjustable spanner works wonders :)

    Mick, Oct 8, 2004
  16. Most mechanics do have a use for them.....Automobile parts come with both
    English and metric hardware. And, sometimes, a worn bolt can be loosened
    more easily with the other set, even though it would be the wrong size were
    the bolt brand new........I hardly work on cars anymore, but I still have a
    complete set of both English and metric sizes.......

    William Graham, Oct 8, 2004
  17. Jens Regge

    Mick Guest

    In the UK 2x1 rough sawn timber is still 2 inches by 1 inch but you buy
    it by the metre for length.
    Want a sheet of plywood please, yes sir, 8 foot by 4 foot? Yes please,
    what thickness do you want? We do 4mm, 6mm, 12mm, 18mm .........:)
    Plastic pipe for kitchen waste? no problem, one and a half inch or one
    and a quarter inch diameter, how many metres would you like sir?

    Mick, Oct 8, 2004
  18. But, if you're UK based (forgive pun) base 47 is useful in vat
    calculations.

    Mike

    Oh well, since you ask, because the current rate of vat is 17.5% wich
    can be expresses as 7/40, and the resultant vat content is thus 7/47ths!

    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Oct 9, 2004
  19. Jens Regge

    kashe Guest

    As it should be for rough lumber. The problem is in the way
    they've played with the finished size over the years.
    Nice to have it that way. In the US, they've recently started
    shaving the thickness of plywood. What used to be 1/2 inch is now
    15/32; 3/8 inch is now 11/32., etc.

    kashe, Oct 9, 2004
  20. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest