Announcement: new DoF calculator available for download

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jens Regge, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. It's funny though - while metric is the official and has been since '66 for
    currency and the early '70s for other measurements - many people, young and
    old, still use imperial measurements for many things. some examples...
    1.in photography, people still get 6x4's, 5x7's, 8x10's etc - you hardly
    ever hear the metric equivalents.
    2.parents say their baby's birthweight was 9lb, 6lb 5oz etc - you rarely
    hear 4.05kg
    3.large drums are still 44gallon, 10 gallon etc, rarely 200L or 45L (and
    texans still wear 10 gallon hats, not 38L hats - i assume texan hats are
    measured by the smaller US gallon).
    4.when giving directions, things are a few hundred yards down the road, not
    a few hundred metres.
    5.floppy disks are 3-1/2" not 89cm
    6.most people would refer to their height as 6'1 (but then convert it to
    186cm for official forms)
    7. our houses are built on 1/4 acre or 1/2 acre blocks, and a rural
    subdivision is referred to as acreage.
    8. cars have 14", 15" etc wheels

    So while we are officially metricated, there are many things that we still
    use imperial measurements for.

    Graham Fountain, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Jens Regge

    Linda_N Guest

    Wow I feel so at home (Canada) reading these posts. It really is a small
    world afterall, Toto. *chuckle*

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Jens Regge

    Linda_N Guest

    Thanks for putting the work into it, Jens!

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    It's very easy. All the trucks (lorries) start one week, and then the cars
    switch over the following weekend. A gradual approach.

    (Reposted, my original reply doesn't seem to have gone through).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Jens Regge

    Dallas Guest

    You call yourselves metric? Hmph! You guys still measure distance in
    miles, mass in stones, and beer in pints.

    We use kilometers, kilograms and kilolitres.

    Dallas, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    Building materials here (Canada) have remained imperial. 48 inches between
    studs? Jeez! Here it is 16" (whether or not it is a load bearing wall).
    Spedometers in Canada have metric indicators with minor scale MPH indicators ...
    in the US, the reverse (MPH with km/h on the minor scale).

    The other odd one in Canada is that most food products that were traditionally
    sold as so-many-ounces have remained in that format but are indicated metric
    only. Hence a bottle of beer is labeled as holding 341 ml (12 Imp. fl-Oz).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Oct 6, 2004
  7. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    Yep!

    (I see my post did go through, but I can't see it... damned usenet).

    Alan Browne, Oct 6, 2004
  8. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    Traditional measurements are hard to shake, and factories are tooled and
    expensive to replace. OTOH, in France few understand what a pound, a foot, etc.
    means. Nobody would say: "My baby weighs 4.05 kilos" any more than you would
    say "my baby weighs 9.1 pounds", rounding off is universal regardless of the system.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Oct 6, 2004
  9. As I recall, Sweden switched around 1970. All drivers were required
    to pull over to the side of the road for 10 minutes or so at, I think,
    midnight on New Year's Eve. Then they pulled out onto the other side
    of the road; all the signs were added in advance for the switch.

    Stephen H. Westin, Oct 6, 2004
  10. Going for maximal sobriety, then.

    Roger Whitehead, Oct 6, 2004
  11. So you reckon egg boxes containing 10 eggs makes sense?

    The Babylonians got it right. Napoleon made a total hash of it.

    John Cartmell, Oct 6, 2004
  12. Anyone who has a base system of units that includes 1000 x something else
    has just got to be joking. MKS !!

    John Cartmell, Oct 6, 2004
  13. B***** H***! You must drink a lot of beer then!

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Oct 6, 2004
  14. Britain will ditch the pound and start using euros. As a compensation,
    the rest of Europe will change to left lane traffic. (Keep it secret,
    the deal hasn't been published yet...)
    Seen them. No problem. But it has nothing to do with the metric system.
    Napoleon wasn't responsible. He didn't change the base from 60 to 10. He
    disn't invent the metric system either, it is a product of the French
    Revolution. Before it France had many incompatible measurement system
    around the country. Since the system is based on reason rather than
    tradition (different in each region), it also became the international
    standard.

    The revolutionists even developed a new calendar that had ten day weeks,
    but people didn't like it. Weekends were too far apart. Napoleon
    returned to the old calendar and became extremely popular.

    -- Lassi

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Lassi_Hippel=E4inen?=, Oct 6, 2004
  15. Jens Regge

    The Wogster Guest

    Why not, makes as much sense as 12, I have seen lately 18 egg
    containers, best might be 5, 10 and 20.....

    The Wogster, Oct 6, 2004
  16. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest

    I presume you really do mean Imperial rather than US fluid ounces?

    For a while we had 454g blocks of butter but it did not last.

    Peter Chant, Oct 6, 2004
  17. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest

    Those are about the only concession.
    You use kilolitres? If you are going metric you should go with SI
    units.

    metres,kilogrammes, metres cubed. Velocity should be measured in
    metres per second.

    Peter Chant, Oct 6, 2004
  18. Try thinking about it first?

    Think packing. Think balance. Think minimal packaging.

    Best:

    3x2=6
    4x3=12
    5x4=20

    or

    2x2=4
    3x3=9
    4x4=16

    And for simple calculation you need plenty of whole number divisors. Using
    the number 10 is a disaster.

    And that's without getting into more complicated, but well-remembered,
    links like 1/3, 1/6, 1/12 of one pound (money). ;-)

    John Cartmell, Oct 6, 2004
  19. Jens Regge

    Peter Irwin Guest

    Yes. Bottles of beer in Canada are 341ml or 12 oz Imperial.
    Cans of beer are 355ml or 12 oz US.

    The US fluid ounce is slightly larger the Imperial fluid ounce.
    US liquid measurement is based on the old wine measurement used
    prior to 1824. One Imperial fluid ounce of water weighs one
    ounce avoirdupois. One gallon weighs ten pounds. One cubic foot
    of water both weighs and contains 1000 ounces.
    We still do in Canada.

    Peter.

    Peter Irwin, Oct 6, 2004
  20. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    This is Canada. Pre-metric, our volume measures were Imperial.
    Our butter is still 454g.

    Conversion was at the root of the Gimli-glider incident... Air Canada bought a
    bunch of Boeing 767's back in the 80's. As the airline was government owned at
    the time, there was pressure to make as much about the purchase metric as
    possible. This led to an error in refuelling at Ottawa. The cockpit fuel
    totalizer was out-of-service and so the 'pull down' fuel measurement devices
    were used. But, errors in converting from Lbs to Kg (by way of litres and
    gallons) resulted in the aircraft being underfueled. Some 100miles from Gimli
    Manitoba the engines flamed out. With the aid of enroute they settled on Gimli
    as a landing point and the aircraft was glided to a safe landing (nose gear
    never came down) by the Captain... who had origianlly learned to flay as an Air
    Cadet at .... Gimli...

    (PS: I may have mangled a few minmor facts above, but on the whole, that is what
    happened).

    Many years later, on my way to Asia via Vancouver, I visited the cockpit of the
    767 and while chatting with the crew discovered that that very airplane was the
    Gimli glider...

    More recently, an Air Transat pilot had a fuel system failure over the Atlantic
    with an Airbus 330. Ended up emptying the tanks and turning the airplane into a
    glider ... at night ... over the Atlantic ... dead sticked it on the Azores. A
    few people had minor injuries. (IIRC, an incorrect pipe had been used in the
    fuel system in one of the engines ... it cracked and was on the wrong side of
    the pumps... emptied the airplane ... drawing some criticism on Airbus, their
    system and their manuals and training). This has nothing to do with the metric
    system of course.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Oct 6, 2004