Announcement: new DoF calculator available for download

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jens Regge, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Jens Regge

    Jens Regge Guest

    Hi all together,

    some years ago, I've started the project of creating a a
    depth-of-field calculator in form of a disc.
    But I somewhat forgot about it, too many other things to do.
    Now, after some rainy weekends, I finally managed to finish the first
    version.

    A number of discs are available for different circles of confusion,
    each covering the (approximate) focal length range of 28 to 105mm (or
    the equivalent for that equipment) as well as f-stops from about 2.8
    to 22.

    I've made it publicly available under the following URLs. Each PDF is
    about 1.2 megs in size. There is a German (metric) version and a US/UK
    (imperial) version:
    http://www.silverimages.de/downloads/dof-metric.pdf
    http://www.silverimages.de/downloads/dof-imperial.pdf

    I'd like to know if this is useful for others and of course your
    comments for improval.

    Please send comments also as PM, since I'm no regular reader of US/UK
    photo groups, I usually only read the German spoken de.rec.fotografie.

    Best regards,
    Jens.

    Jens Regge, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Jens Regge wrote:
    :: Hi all together,
    ::
[...]
    :: --
    :: @@@
    :: C|~| jens regge
    :: |_| http://www.silverimages.de/
    :: |

    You might want to consider a metric (UK) version, as the UK has been
    metric since about 1970.

    Anthony Ralph, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    1) An english metric version would be welcome. Not all english speaking
    countries have retained the imperial system.

    2) While what you did is nicely done, I find it is simply easier to use fcalc.
    (Which is also available in a clumsy application for Palm Pilots ... that I
    don't use).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    Anthony Ralph wrote:

    er, last time I was there (2002) the speed limits were in MPH. While Canada
    migrated to metric (beginning in the 70's) at a seemingly slow pace, it was
    blindingly fast compared to the UK.

    Alan Browne, Oct 5, 2004
  5. They still are (not that anyone pays much attention to them <g>) but
    petrol is sold in litres, beer in pints and fruit in kilos. It's a right
    mucking fuddle.

    Roger Whitehead, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Jens Regge

    macropod Guest

    Out here in the antipodes we've been metricated for decades ...

    Cheers

    macropod, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest

    And then I went to the Co-Op to buy 12 oz cheddar to find that the
    woman behind the counter thought it was a strange US measurement
    as she was Canadian. I must admit I don't buy cheese this way
    often and usually get blank looks when I ask for it in ounces, but
    why can't they sell it in ounces. Provided prices are per kilogramme
    and you can buy it per kilogramme what is the legal problem when a
    customer asks for it in kilos?

    Pete

    Peter Chant, Oct 5, 2004
  8. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest

    A couple of dozen years?

    At least all talk of making us drive on the other size of the road
    has died as obviously impractical and expensive.

    Peter Chant, Oct 5, 2004
  9. --------------

    They will get around to that in the UK sooner or later - except as things
    usually go in Britain - they will want to have the ordinary motorist make
    the change-over to driving on the other side on one day, and commercial
    lories and busses on another.

    LOL

    Journalist

    Journalist-North, Oct 6, 2004
  10. Jens Regge

    Jens Regge Guest

    Good point. What paper size is common in the UK?
    The German version is on "A4" and the English/imperial version is on
    "US Letter".

    After all, the difference concerning the discs is minor, the big
    difference is the instruction page.

    Jens.

    Jens Regge, Oct 6, 2004
  11. Jens Regge

    Jens Regge Guest

    Yes, that's correct. I'll do that in the "final" version.
    Sure, you can get nice things using electronics. But for the pocket or
    on a tough photo tour, wouldn't you prefer something lightweight and
    not so easy breakable?
    I have a PPC and considered writing a program for it, but have given
    up the idea because of the above.

    Jens.

    Jens Regge, Oct 6, 2004
  12. Jens Regge

    Colin D Guest

    Nearly 40 years for NZ - changeover was in 1967. Anyone under the age
    of 45 doesn't remember or even know anything about imperial
    measurement. A few problems still exist, though. Renovating older
    houses, f'rinstance, built in imperial measurements. Early building
    sizes for things like wallboard were hard-converted, so 48 inches became
    1219 millimetres, but later soft-converted to the nearest round metric
    measurement, 1200mm. Bad news when one was trying to re-wallboard an
    older house, the wallboard was 20mm shorter than the stud-to-stud
    distance of 48 in. But later still, 1220mm sheets were introduced for
    just this problem. Distances and speedos went to kilometres, and you
    could buy speedo converters, little gadgets with 8:5 gearing that were
    fitted between the speedo and the cable. Would I change back? No
    chance.

    Colin

    Colin D, Oct 6, 2004
  13. We use the A, B and C sizes here, too.
    If you have time, please amend that to A4. US Letter can cause incorrect
    pagination on most systems in the UK.

    Roger Whitehead, Oct 6, 2004
  14. Jens Regge

    Alan Browne Guest

    Not at all. One week you get all the trucks (lorries) to switch sides and the
    next week all the cars. Gradual implementation you see...

    Alan Browne, Oct 6, 2004
  15. Jens Regge

    Skip M Guest

    At least the US has avoided that, by staying firmly moored in the past! ;-)
    Of course, in the first gas crisis, gas stations tried to hide price
    increases by selling gas by the liter, but that neither went over well nor
    lasted long...

    Skip M, Oct 6, 2004
  16. Jens Regge

    Duncan Allan Guest

    Yes I have found the 'colonies' to have been forward in this respect! ;-)

    I've used metric for years and have changed from imperial, (don't you just
    hate the connotation of Empire in that!) to metric but also from points and
    picas to millimetres. I'm no Euro enthusiast but Metric has many benefits of
    simplicity. At least Napoleon got something right.

    Duncan

    Duncan Allan, Oct 6, 2004
  17. Jens Regge

    Duncan Allan Guest

    I see you're tackling the problem head-on!

    Duncan

    Duncan Allan, Oct 6, 2004
  18. Jens Regge

    Duncan Allan Guest

    A4 please for English Metric version.

    TIA Duncan

    Duncan Allan, Oct 6, 2004
  19. Jens Regge

    Peter Chant Guest

    Personally I use metric or imperial, depending on what I am doing and
    how the numbers work out ( ie roud numbers).

    Peter Chant, Oct 6, 2004
  20. Hello Jens,

    I want to thank you for your effort and for sharing it with everyone.
    Since you asked I have a one suggestion.
    I am more involved in a portrait photography which usualy include:
    1. portrait focal range 75 - 85 - 105 - 135
    2. large apertures (for putting background out of focus)
    3. close distance to subject

    This lead to very shallow depth of field and it can be critical and ruin the
    picture if not calculated right.
    My suggestion is to make a dof calculator similar to the one that you
    already made but oriented to portrait photography in scaling: range in
    centimeters (cca 70 - 300 cm), and larger apertures from 1.4 to 16. The
    scaling of your tool should be more precise and not to include distances
    further than 300 centimeters and focal ranges smaller and biger then
    mentioned here.
    This would be an invaluable tool for quick reference where you are in the
    field.

    I have seen and use a lot of dof calculators of all kind but none has such
    shape that fit this particular work, which on the other hand represent a
    huge amount of shooting in photography.
    I am writing you because a have recognized your calculator as a very good
    and practical idea and I am agree with you that this is a better solution
    then Palm devices. I do have Visor and use it for dof calculations for
    particular metter but this is just another sensitive, complicated and
    battery dependent device that add another few hundred grams to you gear and
    need some time do do the calculations.

    This is a good idea and it can be even more useful if it will be even more
    specialized.

    Regards,

    Robert

    [email protected], Oct 6, 2004