ANNI GETS A NEW TOY !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, May 27, 2005.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Today the big brown truck brought me a
    Canon 1.4x II Teleconverter. I was eager
    to see how it would function with the 20D
    and the 400 f/5.6L.
    Oh, I suppose I could've read P.64 of the
    20D Owner's Manual, but what fun would that
    be? I had to see for myself.

    Bad news. Bye-bye autofocus!

    My Vivitar 2x TC at least tries to autofocus
    with the 400 f/5.6L, but the Canon doesn't
    even move. It also (correctly) reads the
    aperture as 1-stop higher (f/8).

    The good news is that the 1.4x TC II will
    still auto-focus with the Fabulous EOS-1V,
    should I ever choose to get it out of storage.
    It also should work fine with the Super 70-200
    f/2.8L, although I didn't have it with me today.

    Here's a shot I took today of one of my friends:
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/43918349

    Annika1980, May 27, 2005

  2. Annika1980

    Sheldon Guest

    Why so many vultures hanging around you? <LOL>

    Anyway, nice shots!

    Sheldon

    Sheldon, May 27, 2005

  3. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    Just in case you still wanna play with AF at f8, you can always tape over
    two of the contacts (I forget which ones...), and you 20D will do it's best
    to AF. This should do OK in bright light...

    A quick search on Google will reveal several sites showing how to do this
    harmless...temporary work-around...
    (Temporary...as in...you do no damage, and can easily reverse your tweak by
    simply removing the tape.)

    Mark², May 27, 2005
  4. Yep. I can attest to the fact that the 1.4 series II multiplier and the
    70~200 f2.8 'L' series are a match made in heaven. It just doesn't get
    much better. Don't bother with the auto focus workarounds about on that
    combo. Manual focus is a much more elegant answer.

    [email protected], May 27, 2005
  5. Annika1980

    SimonLW Guest

    I'd be interested in seeing full size crops with the lens wide open and
    stopped down using the 1.4x. Canon's own MTF charts show the 400/5.6 L being
    a bit of a disappointment for a teleprime compared to some of their other L
    teles. This is one reason I'd recommend the 300 f/4 IS. The 400 can be a bit
    long in some cases (especially on a 1.6x cropping dSLR). The 300 offers the
    IS with panning mode and retains AF with the 1.4x and usable speed with the
    2x. I've gotten great hand held shots without a tripod.
    -S

    SimonLW, May 27, 2005
  6. Annika1980

    Owamanga Guest

    You are making the assumption that having the ability to focus or not
    would make any difference to the quality of Brett's images...

    Me, I'm not convinced.

    :p

    Owamanga, May 27, 2005
  7. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Why so many vultures hanging around you?

    I move real slow.
    It also helps to keep a couple of dead fish in the old camera bag.

    Annika1980, May 27, 2005
  8. Annika1980

    Deep Reset Guest

    We have your Caps LoCk KEy.
    Do NOt rePEAt Not coNTAcT the Cops.

    Deep Reset, May 27, 2005
  9. Apparently though the autofocus might be accurate, it sounds as if the
    control loop get underdamped because the camera does not know to reduce the
    rate of change of focus to account for the multiplier of the converter.

    Lester Wareham, May 27, 2005
  10. I would be interested in seeing a comparison of these two configurations. As
    you say, acording to the MTF data the performance should be similar.
    However, Michael Reichmann's review says this is not the case in practice.
    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/forgotten-400.shtml

    Lester Wareham, May 27, 2005
  11. With all of these goodies you are aquiring you are in danger of
    becoming a spoilt brat sorry bret . (Just jealousy rearing it's ugly
    head)
    eric phillips

    eric phillips, May 27, 2005
  12. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    Nah...
    Lots of us have had those toys for many moons.
    We just have caps-lock keys that aren't stuck...
    :)

    Mark², May 28, 2005
  13. Annika1980

    Matt Ion Guest

    As usual, your posts are for the birds...

    Nice shot, but you might want to try finding some more attractive friends.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0521-5, 05/29/2005
    Tested on: 5/29/2005 1:28:14 PM

    Matt Ion, May 29, 2005
  14. Annika1980

    Frank ess Guest

    The non-attractive aspect is nothing; you ever _smell_ one of them
    things?

    Frank ess, May 29, 2005