  1. When I'm on a page that has adds animating, I find it really off putting and
    difficult to read - is there anyway to 'freeze' them?

    Thanks

    David Sadtwat, Jan 30, 2004

  2. David Sadtwat

    why? Guest

    Which browser?

    Don't use it myself much, but MSIE has Tools / Options / Advanced tab
    near the bottom of the list. Untick - Play sounds, Play animations, Play
    videos.

    Opera, see Preferences / Multimedia.

    Outpost Firewall (with ad blocker) or other ad blocker utility may also
    help.

    Me

    why?, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Sorry: IE. I have already unselected the options you suggested :(

    David Sadtwat, Jan 30, 2004
  4. David Sadtwat

    trout Guest

    In Internet Options; Security tab; Custom options, you could set
    ActiveX controls and plug ins to "Prompt". This way, you could refuse
    them on a page where they serve no purpose other than to animate an
    advertisement.
    Of course, it would mean dealing with a prompt when opening just
    about every page (which I still prefer, myself).

    trout, Jan 30, 2004
  5. David Sadtwat

    Richard Guest

    Look on the toolbar and find that little red icon and click it.
    Most browsers use that to "stop" animation and loading.

    Richard, Jan 30, 2004
  6. David Sadtwat

    why? Guest

    Helps to say, guessing is so much fun otherwise :)

    Example URL, to see what type of ad it is?

    If it's flash, you should be able to right click , untick play.

    I am still fine tuning the Outpost options, but it blocks ads quite
    nicely.

    You could look for previous suggestions,

    Searched English messages for
    ad block
    group:24hoursupport.helpdesk
    from 12 May 2002 to today.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 280. Search took 0.71 seconds.

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...s_miny=2002&as_maxd=30&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2004>
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1A324047

    Me

    why?, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Example URL, to see what type of ad it is?

    http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&...inistry+of+Mayhem&progutn=1075569900&.intl=uk
    It is flash but it plays no matter what I tick.
    I had a look and picked up a trial of adscleaner. This blocks just about
    everything, but not flash as far as I can tell :(

    David Sadtwat, Jan 31, 2004
  8. David Sadtwat

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    Jesus, the whole bloody page is ads. All I saw was a bit of text and a
    menu on the left. Use a hosts file to kill them.

    http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 31, 2004
  9. David Sadtwat, Jan 31, 2004
  10. David Sadtwat

    why? Guest

    Outpost blocked this fine, I had to turn off Outpost and clear the
    browser cache before I could see it.

    Oh, forgot to say I also had to change browsers from Mozilla (which has
    ad/image blocking) to MSIE.
    Me

    why?, Jan 31, 2004
  11. I had a look and picked up a trial of Adscleaner.

    Woah ... I just found out that it seems to consume 30% of system resources!

    David Sadtwat, Jan 31, 2004
  12. David Sadtwat

    trout Guest

    trout, Jan 31, 2004