and the other side of the coin for Rich

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Heslop, Jan 7, 2010.

  1. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=6&storycode=44853&c=1

    A photographer who was arrested, handcuffed and detained for eight
    hours
    when he tried to take pictures of a road accident has won more than
    £5,000
    in damages and an apology from Thames Valley Police.

    Police have also deleted the record of MK News photographer Andrew
    Handley
    and destroyed DNA samples and fingerprints they took from him when he
    was
    held.

    Handley, a photographer for 34 years, was arrested by a sergeant as he
    tried
    to take pictures at the scene of the accident, at Stony Stratford,
    Milton
    Keynes, in September 2006.

    Paul Heslop, Jan 7, 2010

  2. Le 07/01/2010 14:15, Paul Heslop a écrit :
    wowh... french police would have kept this and prosecuted the
    photograph for resistance :-(

    jdd

    jean-daniel dodin, Jan 7, 2010

  3. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    heh

    Paul Heslop, Jan 7, 2010
  4. Paul Heslop

    Rich Guest

    That's the 9th or 10th time a photog has won damages in Britain for
    police misuse of their powers in the last couple years. It could turn
    into the same kind of industry that paparazzi had in the U.S. suing
    people who hit them. All you have to do is roam the streets until you
    see the cops at an accident scene or something then start snapping.
    Could be lucrative.

    Rich, Jan 7, 2010
  5. Paul Heslop

    MC Guest

    Apparently it was an out of court settlement. The police knew they
    were wrong and they didn't need a judge to tell them.

    MC

    MC, Jan 8, 2010
  6. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    to be fair England has become a place where anything goes in terms of
    suing people for damages. Apparently during this cold snap we are
    having some schools refuse to open as they are scared they will be
    sued if a child has an accident.

    Paul Heslop, Jan 8, 2010
  7. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    took some time before the decision though?

    Paul Heslop, Jan 8, 2010
  8. Paul Heslop

    MC Guest

    The machinations of administration run slow I'm afraid :eek:)

    MC

    MC, Jan 8, 2010
  9. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    thanks to the pay per hour of solicitors :O)

    Paul Heslop, Jan 8, 2010
  10. Paul Heslop

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    Oh, you have no idea.

    The only think the UK has over the US in the lawsuit department is that
    in the US, truth is a defense against libel.

    Paul Ciszek, Jan 9, 2010
  11. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    yeah, we tend to think of this as one of the less desirable imports
    from America. that and mcdonalds :O)

    Paul Heslop, Jan 9, 2010
  12. Paul Heslop

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : In article <>,
    : >
    : >to be fair England has become a place where anything goes in terms of
    : >suing people for damages. Apparently during this cold snap we are
    : >having some schools refuse to open as they are scared they will be
    : >sued if a child has an accident.
    :
    : Oh, you have no idea.
    :
    : The only thing the UK has over the US in the lawsuit department is that
    : in the US, truth is a defense against libel.

    I'm not sure how to read that. Are you saying that it's a *bad* thing to have
    truth be a defense against libel? I'd have thought it was a good thing. There
    are a lot of things wrong with the U.S. legal system, but I don't think that's
    one of them.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 9, 2010
  13. Paul Heslop

    tony cooper Guest

    I had the same reaction to the comment. I thought perhaps it was
    worded differently than the intent of the writer.

    tony cooper, Jan 9, 2010
  14. Paul Heslop

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In terms of being a free-for-all for lawsuits, the only area in which the
    UK outdoes the US is that truth is NOT a defense agains libel. It gets
    confusing when you are cynically boasting about how bad things are, I
    guess.

    Paul Ciszek, Jan 9, 2010
  15. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    yeah, our satirical magazine Private Eye is full of cases where even
    folks from other nations use our libel laws to sue people for things
    they have written in the USA etc. The cases may be winnable but
    obviously fighting them is expensive and people can and do become
    ruined fighting a just cause.

    Paul Heslop, Jan 9, 2010