    loss in picture quality? Specifically the "oil painting effect" that
    is referred to in some reviews and forums?

    Thank you.

    TheChair, Dec 16, 2003

  2. The "oil painting effect" is due to loss of low-contrast detail. Most of
    this detail is lost at the point the image is taken due to the noise. Noise
    reduction, if done correctly, just smoothes the noise. Of course, nothing is
    perfect, so noise reduction will destroy some detail, but that detail is
    largely already gone.

    Noise itself can give a false impression of sharpness, so the softer
    appearance of noise reduced images is not completely a matter of the noise
    reduction destroying real detail in the image.

    Also note that brighter light results in more contrast in images, so
    low-light images themselves are different from what the same subject looks
    like in bright light. (As I mentioned in another thread, a Kodak gray scale
    chart has only 3 stops of contrast (from black to white) in low room light,
    5 stops under a reading lamp, and 8 stops (although I had to cheat to get
    that reading, 6 or 7 would be more accurate) close to a bright spot light.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 16, 2003