    When I found that, before buying, "Deep Impact" and "From Dusk Till Dawn"
    were both non-anamorphic (R1), I jumped over to Amazon Japan to order the
    Japanese editions, both of which are anamorphic.

    Mr Muckle, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Michael Rogers

    David Z Guest

    No need for that - the Australian R4 is also anamorphic and sells for about
    US$13.

    David Z, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Michael Rogers

    Eric R. Guest

    Well, then you should blame the dumbasses who design widescreen TV's.
    Just because they're too stupid to realize that 1.66:1 is a common
    European standard doesn't mean you should take it out on the studios.
    Designers need to create a 1.66:1 zoom mode.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jan 16, 2004
  4. Michael Rogers

    Eric R. Guest

    Speaking of Broderick, how's about:

    Wargames

    (was I the only one who saw several Wargames references in Terminator 3?)

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jan 16, 2004
  5. Michael Rogers

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : > =====================
    : > ALL of MGMs current 1.66:1 movies have been non-anamorphic.
    : > Giant was non-anamorphic.
    : > Monsoon Wedding also........
    : > I refuse to buy them.
    : > Of all aspects, that is the one that is impossible to view properly unless
    : > anamorphic.
    : > Zooming cuts off the top and bottom, unlike a non-anamorphic 1.85:1 movie.
    :
    : Well, then you should blame the dumbasses who design widescreen TV's.
    : Just because they're too stupid to realize that 1.66:1 is a common
    : European standard doesn't mean you should take it out on the studios.
    : Designers need to create a 1.66:1 zoom mode.
    :
    The blame STILL lies with the studios.
    Anamorphic DVDs have more resolution.
    There is no excuse for not releasing them that way...........

    You DO have a 16:9 set, don't you?
    If not, you have no idea what the problem actually is.

    Richard C., Jan 16, 2004
  6. Hi...do you have a link for this info? Been waiting a long time to
    hear something like this. Thanks!

    Joseph Paturbo, Jan 16, 2004
  7. From The Digital Bits Rumor Mill:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

    We've learned from our friends at The R2 Project that Warner has
    revealed the Region 2 DVD release of a number of new, previously
    unannounced titles for 2004 (many are long-awaited special editions).
    These include:

    June - THX-1138, The Searchers: SE, Blazing Saddles: SE, Three
    Godfathers, Mogambo, Shalako, Wyatt Earp, The Hunger, Fearless Vampire
    Killers

    July - Heat: SE, Goodfellas: SE

    August - Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas, Tarzan the Ape Man, a Johnny
    Weismuller Box Set, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Enter the Dragon:
    SE, Cleopatra Jones, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, Purple Rain:
    SE, Under the Cherry Moon, Graffiti Bridge

    September - After Hours, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Who's That
    Knocking at My Door?, The Lost Boys: SE

    It's likely that those titles above that haven't yet been released in R1
    will debut here later in 2004 as well. We've also confirmed with our
    sources that Warner is working on 2-disc SEs of Forbidden Planet and
    King Kong for 2004. We'll let you know when any official announcements
    get made.

    Michael Rogers, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Top Gun
    Armageddon
    Titanic

    Any word on anamorphic releases for these?

    These were such big hits and they still are popular.. Anamorphic
    re-releases of these movies would sell.

    I will not buy or own non-anamorphic or "resized-to-fit-yer-foolscreen"
    dvds.

    O.A.R. and anamorphic only.

    No mail, please .. [no incoming mailbox]

    Invalid Address, Jan 17, 2004
  9. Michael Rogers

    Mark B. Guest

    People who are more interested in "filling up the screen" than seeing all of
    the filmed image. Unfortunately, there's lots of them.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 17, 2004
  10. Michael Rogers

    Mark B. Guest

    The Bridges of Madison County

    Mark B., Jan 17, 2004
  11. Michael Rogers

    Codswallop Guest

    Yup. Even when they KNOW why the black bars are there, I find people
    still want their 4:3 TV filled.

    Can't talk 'em around, unfortunately. Not yet, anyway. ;)

    Codswallop, Jan 17, 2004
  12. I forgot to add:

    The Posiedan Adventure
    The Towering Inferno
    The Little Mermaid
    Young Frankesntein

    Michael Rogers, Jan 19, 2004
  13. Michael Rogers

    Eric R. Guest

    Yes, I do. And one of my favorite discs to watch on it is the original
    Universal 1.66:1 release of Army of Darkness--which looks a helluva
    lot better than the anamorphic Anchor Bay release (proving that here
    are a lot more factors to consider here than just raw resolution).

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jan 20, 2004
  14. Michael Rogers

    Evil Guest

    How about all those early Criterion discs. I really want them, but
    since they aren't anamorphic, no can do. I'm really having trouble
    holding off on YOJIMBO and SANJURO, though...

    Evil, Jan 20, 2004
  15. Michael Rogers

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : > You DO have a 16:9 set, don't you?
    : > If not, you have no idea what the problem actually is.
    :
    : Yes, I do. And one of my favorite discs to watch on it is the original
    : Universal 1.66:1 release of Army of Darkness--

    And how do you watch it...just curious.
    Zoomed and cropped? Stretched? or just leave it windoboxed?

    Richard C., Jan 20, 2004