Analogue Phone

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Timo, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Timo

    Timo Guest

    Hi
    I have BT phone line and want to move to NTL. I am using a Credit Card
    Machine on BT line spoke to the Machine supplier that I want to move but
    they did not like the idea and told me that NTL in not Analogue and BT is.
    For the machine process they need analogue phone connection.

    I am not sure if they are right????
    Is NTL phone lines are all digital??
    Or will Analogue work on it ???
    Will I need converter???
    How much will it cost???

    BT is costing me a lot NTL is way cheap and these are the only 2 supplier in
    my area!
    Any suggestions???
    Thanks

    (SORRY! Also posted in NTL.TALK)

    Timo, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Timo

    PJB Guest

    "Timo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have BT phone line and want to move to NTL. I am using a Credit Card
    > Machine on BT line spoke to the Machine supplier that I want to move but
    > they did not like the idea and told me that NTL in not Analogue and BT is.
    > For the machine process they need analogue phone connection.
    >
    > I am not sure if they are right????
    > Is NTL phone lines are all digital??
    > Or will Analogue work on it ???
    > Will I need converter???
    > How much will it cost???

    there's no reason I know off, that you cannot use ANY phone with NTL as you
    would with BT.. I use a DECT fone, by choice, but I've also used analogue
    fones on both my NTL & BT lines.
    Maybe someone with a similar setup to you will provide further comment.

    P.

    PJB, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Timo

    El Rossi Guest

    "PJB" <> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem

    > "Timo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have BT phone line and want to move to NTL. I am using a Credit
    >> Card Machine on BT line spoke to the Machine supplier that I want to
    >> move but they did not like the idea and told me that NTL in not
    >> Analogue and BT is. For the machine process they need analogue phone
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> I am not sure if they are right????
    >> Is NTL phone lines are all digital??
    >> Or will Analogue work on it ???
    >> Will I need converter???
    >> How much will it cost???

    > there's no reason I know off, that you cannot use ANY phone with NTL
    > as you would with BT.. I use a DECT fone, by choice, but I've also
    > used analogue fones on both my NTL & BT lines.
    > Maybe someone with a similar setup to you will provide further
    > comment.
    >
    > P.

    actually : the main point of this is the 'Credit card machine'

    This is the switch device that you pay for goods on.

    Firstly, theres two points on this, & that is 'who owns the cable to your
    door'

    If your Pure NTL, then many banks dont want you to use switch over this
    befault (I dont know why) If its BT, then you havent a problem.

    Then you get onto the 2nd problem : Do you have the original switch
    machines? or the new (crappy) Chip & pin.

    Now, most banks are happy to accept a dialup system using BT (hence the
    analgue)
    But the new C&P, in order to appear faster, now demand a digital
    connection (Broadband)

    Ah, but heres the rub.. What about if you are willing to upgrade to Chip
    & pin, yet are based in a non broadband enabled area..
    Well.. On that point : the banks will screw you! (but thats a different
    issue)

    In short : talk to your bank (CC suplier) regarding this.. If you dont,
    they will be more than happy to remove the hardware citing 'security
    concerns'

    El Rossi, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Timo

    Timo Guest