    Any comments on the pros and cons of either format welcome.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Kenny wrote:
    > Have been using a Canon Hi-8 analogue camcorder with a Matrox G450eTV
    > capture card for some time now with good results.
    > The Canon was damaged and I can't get it fixed so I will be buying a new
    > camcorder.
    > Question is whether to stick with the Hi-8 analogue format or to go digital.
    > If I do go digital is my capture card redundant?
    > Will I need to add a Firewire card, I see that some camcorders now have a
    > USB connection?
    > Some camcorders can record in MPEG4 (AVI) format, is it worth going for this
    > type?
    > I have a number of Hi-8 tapes, can I use them in a digital camcorder?
    > Any comments on the pros and cons of either format welcome.

    Definitely go for the digital. You'll have a wider selection if you get
    MiniDV, but if you have a lot of Hi8 tapes around, you may want to go
    with Digital8 instead, they should be able to play your current tapes.
    The quality of the picture is about the same both ways. Once you've
    gotten used to using a digital camcorder you'll throw rocks at Hi8. The
    quality is better and it's extremely easy to capture to the harddrive. I
    use a firewire setup, but I don't think it would be much different with
    USB 2.0. Your capture card would only be of use when capturing analog
    tapes, no need for it for digital unless you are outputting analog into
    a VCR or TV.

    The things I look for in a camcorder are a good optical zoom ratio, mine
    is 20:1. Steady shot (called different things) for reducing the jittery
    picture. Decent low light level performance. And the more jacks for
    mics, headphones, AC adapters and so forth, the more I like it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 24, 2004