An odd Windows behaviour

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gib Bogle, Mar 7, 2013.

  1. Choose 'browse' when you get to 'choose program' and find the .exe file that
    way ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 11, 2013

  2. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Yes, that's the first thing I tried. "When I browse for and select
    qtcreator.exe, the OS ignores my choice and insists on opening it
    with my text editor."

    Gib Bogle, Mar 11, 2013

  3. Very odd.
    Perhaps ... windows is broken ? ... but you knew that. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 11, 2013
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    When I select the extension PRO from the list the Advanced button does
    not show. It changes to Restore. Entries for all other extensions have
    the Advanced button. When I click the Change button it takes me down
    the Open With > Browse path, where, as usual, I can select qtcreator.exe
    but it does not get selected, the text editor remains selected. It
    seems that according to XP there is something special about .pro files.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 12, 2013
  5. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    I doubt it, as .pro files are not normally in the File Types list. I'd
    presume that an installed app has done this (put the file association
    in). Do you have any special (third party) text editor installed?

    Dave Doe, Mar 12, 2013
  6. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    And a couple other things... can you Delete the File Association
    (Control Panel, Folder OPtions, File Types) for the PRO? - and even if
    not, why not try and create a New one.

    Dave Doe, Mar 12, 2013
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I've been down all these avenues. There was not an entry for .pro files
    in the File Types list, I added it. It is not possible to create an
    association with qtcreator.exe, I've tried every way including the
    registry (qtcreator is in the registry list, but does not appear in Open
    With). All the methods of creating an association lead to the Open With
    (Choose program) > Browse popup, which does not allow qtcreator.exe to
    be added to the list. These problems are unique to XP, i.e. they do not
    occur with W7. Yes, I'm using another text editor PFE (Programmers File
    Editor) on both XP and W7.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 12, 2013
  8. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    Is qtcreator.exe executable? Are the permissions correct on the file?
    Have you looked in the Event log?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 12, 2013
  9. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I haven't looked in the Event log. The program is certainly executable
    - I use it all the time. I can invoke it with the .pro file from the
    command line, for example, or run it then open the .pro file.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 12, 2013
  10. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    OK, well that's new info AFAIK (ie yes, I've read the thread :) ).

    So uh, what *is* qtcreator.exe ??? :)
    And where is the .exe and what attributes does it have?

    From the thread, you've got this working via the command line? - ie
    qtcreator correctly accepts arguments (such as a file parsed to it)? -
    just to confirm that :)

    Dave Doe, Mar 12, 2013
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Actually Dave it was in my initial post:
    "Normally when you right-click on a file and select 'Open with' you can
    choose the program to open the file, either from the supplied list of
    candidates or by browsing for the .exe. I have found that on one
    machine I use (Windows XP, work computer) I am not able to open a
    particular file type like this. The file is .pro, and is opened by
    qtcreator.exe. When I browse for and select qtcreator.exe, the OS
    ignores my choice and insists on opening it with my text editor."
    In case it isn't crystal clear, I'm referring to browsing from the 'Open
    With' window.
    qtcreator.exe is the Qt program for creating Qt GUIs. It is a perfectly
    normal executable; I can run it from the command line, by
    double-clicking on it in Explorer, or by selecting it from the Programs
    menu. If it matters (it doesn't) is resides in C:\QtSDK\QtCreator\bin.
    I have been using versions of this program for years, on XP and Win7.
    I can run qtcreator.exe in all the usual ways, and it correctly accepts
    the argument fubar.pro from the command line.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 13, 2013
  12. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    And I was referring to your answer re File Associations - which is new
    info - certainly, a different way of achieving the same, but still new
    info - the file association PRO didn't exist before, you created it, and
    it would not let you browse via that method (no Advanced button).
    I think you should test this on your Win7 or 8 PC (if you have Pro or
    better) and run up a Virtual PC of XP, or run the free Windows XP Mode -
    and test in there. But if you're happy that you know this will work OK,
    why bother - you're happy to deduce it is on your work PC only. Is the
    work PC on a domain environment? And if so, what happens if you logon
    the local PC account (not the domain account) and try setting the file
    association? Can you talk the boss into a new PC? :)

    Dave Doe, Mar 13, 2013
  13. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    It all works as expected on Win7. The work PC is on a domain
    environment. Next time I'm at the office I'll try a local logon. I
    seldom go there, since I work at home, using VPN and Remote Desktop. A
    new PC is not on the cards.

    I'm pursuing this purely out of interest - it is an intriguing puzzle, I
    hate to leave puzzles like this unsolved. I can always start qtcreator
    then open the .pro file, and I can use the Sendto facility.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 13, 2013
  14. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    Sure, it's good to sort these things out - find out why :)

    I know it works in Win7, just suggesting you run up an XP Mode version
    of it, and test in that...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

    Dave Doe, Mar 13, 2013