    has amounted to very little because it didn't give it away for free, and
    consequently does not have a nest egg for its retirement.

    <http://news.com.com/Is+this+the+end+of+Netscape/2100-1032_3-1011356.html

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Mr Scebe Guest

    Bizarre. So you're completely neglecting the fact that a closed-source
    software company managed to nix the competition, just because it doesn't fit
    with your dogma?

    Mr Scebe, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    H.O.G Guest

    Is this the end of Netscape?
    Published: May 29, 2003, 3:34 PM PDT

    News travels fast on the Internet, doesn't it...

    H.O.G, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    could be worse... could be a story from 2002

    Shane, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    shannon Guest

    what fact ?

    shannon, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Note too that Enderle does not seem to be a true journalist but a spin
    doctor who writes 'news' articles for those who come up with the money.

    Peter, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    thing Guest

    Nothing closed source I can see about it...
    Lets see, MS gives away its web browser for free, so in effect MS does
    an open source on Netscape.......destroying its business model........

    Rather anti-trust dont you think?

    Now Linux is doing an open source on MS, poetic justice maybe?

    Given MS's history of being the cheapest OS and only just good enough
    (lets not forget how awful windows 1.0, and 2 were with 3.0 being almost
    usable) they should be able to understand first hand the threat they
    face from a lower cost OS to their desktop monopoly.........

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 27, 2005
  8. hahahabullshit
    what a load of rubbish

    FreedomChooser, Jun 27, 2005
  9. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Rob J Guest

    25 Jun 2005 22:19:50 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <[email protected]
    central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    Oh rubbish.

    Who is making money out of open source software? Proportionately fewer
    organisations than those making money out of proprietary, that's for
    sure.

    Rob J, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Rob J Guest

    There is no monopoly and never has been.

    Historical comparisons of old versions of Windows are irrelevant.

    Rob J, Jun 28, 2005
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    Is money the way to measure an operating system/applications???
    Universitys that are involved in open source gain by showing thier
    students the internals of a working program, that is current.
    Third world countries gain with open source because they can take existing
    programs and customise them how they wish for thier own ends... with no
    crippling license fees
    We specced a server for a client recently who was using a *nix server on
    medium to low end hardware, total current cost ~8-10,000, they wanted to
    use some program (I forget which) that required excel.
    After the costs of new hardware, new OS licenses for that hardware, and
    Office subscriptions, they were looking down the barrel at 55,000
    whos making money? not the customer, his small to medium buisness was
    losing valuable capital, and we stood to gain nothing to install it.

    Shane, Jun 28, 2005
  12. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    actually I should be more clear, what sparked it all off was our client
    had found some proggy he wanted to install, that proggy required excel,
    and I forget but may have required windows server side (most likely), had
    the programmers made the code open source we might have been able to at
    the very least drop its requirement for excel, instead they lost the
    contract

    Shane, Jun 28, 2005
  13. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    shannon Guest

    People are making money from open source software by using it.
    Apple makes money by using samba apache cups darwin etc. Some of their
    own developers make improvements and contribute that code back
    The oss developers don't have to maintain marketing and distribution and
    licensing.
    The open source code allows a number of stakeholders to participate in
    development without sharing any business risks.
    Developers core open source projects have their time paid for by
    stakeholders.
    So do developers in closed source corporations, its a myth that they get
    for what they write, they get paid salaries derived from licence fees,
    they are another overhead to be maintained or contracted out.
    Apple has shown how open source components can function satisfactorily
    alongside proprietary components without any of the 'viral' effects that
    Microsoft and other GPL detractors were bleating about.
    The size and popularity of Microsoft is irrelevant to the utility of the
    open source development model. Indeed the most popular open source
    software runs on proprietary operating systems.

    shannon, Jun 28, 2005
  14. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Perhaps you should be asking: "Who is *saving* money by using open source
    software". The answer is most likely "every company that uses it".

    Open source souftware is not a business model. It is not there solely for
    money to be made. It does go a great way to helping companies save money
    though.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 28, 2005
  15. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    How can you say there is no monopoly when they were convicted of illegally
    abusing theirs?
    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 28, 2005
  16. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Rob J Guest

    The fact is that Windows does not and has never had a desktop monopoly.

    Perhaps you'd like to cite a reference to your claim.

    Rob J, Jun 29, 2005
  17. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Rob J Guest

    That you know very well is not what was being referred to.

    Rob J, Jun 29, 2005
  18. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    shannon Guest

    Are you suggesting that Microsoft makes money out of their browser
    because its proprietary ?

    shannon, Jun 29, 2005
  19. The case heard by Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson. His remedies were
    overturned by the higher court, but his findings of fact--that Microsoft
    was a monopoly, and had illegally abused its monopoly position--were not.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2005
  20. I don't think you can cite any evidence to back up that claim.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2005