    start laying ink or advancing the paper for a minute or two.

    I'm curious.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Feb 10, 2006

  2. Eatmorepies

    tomm42 Guest

    This is generally a paper size vs image size question. ie You have set
    it for letter size paper and you are printing an 8x10.

    Tom

    tomm42, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    I have set the size of the print to be the same size as a sheet of the paper
    I am using. i.e an I set the image to 210 by 297 mm for an A4 print.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Eatmorepies

    tomm42 Guest

    That's interesting, though I don't have the European sizes in my head,
    seems close. Is the paper feeding properly? Have you put a border on
    the print? Last question are you getting your whole print done, is it
    cutting off at the end?
    With my old 1200 it was always the size differential, or when I was
    grouping multiple sizes.

    Good luck
    Tom

    tomm42, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    210x297 is European A4.
    The paper feeds properly - it just seems delayed (although the main white
    nylon sprocket does twitch a bit).
    No border on my print.
    The whole of the print is printed.

    So there's no problem. I just wonder what the printer's doing.

    Thanks for your interest.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Feb 10, 2006
  6. Eatmorepies

    Mike Guest

    Hi John,

    I have wondered about this myself and my best guess is that it IS laying
    down ink - but straight into the printer itself rather than onto the paper.

    My understanding is this - when you print "borderless" then the image is
    stretched a bit so that the margins are slightly further out than the actual
    paper size - this is what makes the print "borderless". The downside is that
    you lose a portion of the image - ie. the extreme edges.

    Next time you print a borderless picture have a close look at the edges
    compared to what you see on the monitor - there will be a slight crop that's
    only really noticable if you have some important elements close to the
    margin of the picture. My guess is that when the printer head is moving
    before laying ink on the picture, it IS laying down ink, but straight into
    the printer well. This ink is what WOULD have been the edges of your
    original image IF the printer hadn't stretched the image to make a
    borderless print. Try touching the foam "soak" that's under the paper feed
    mechanism with some soft tissue after printing a borderless print - very wet
    isn't it? That's the ink that "missed" the paper.

    This is the reason why I now print 8x10s on A3 paper if I want a to have a
    true 8x10 with NO stretching - I just turn off the "No Margins" option so
    the image isn't stretched and do the rest in QImage. Then I cut the paper by
    hand to get a TRUE 8x10 with no cropping and no extra ink in my printer.

    I may be completely wrong, but the above ramble is my understanding of
    what's going on!!

    Mike, Feb 11, 2006