    I currently use an R200 and this gets through its two light cartridges
    almost twice as fast as the other four.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Eatmorepies

    John Bean Guest

    Yes. No.

    :-(

    John Bean, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Eatmorepies

    pixby Guest

    Of course you could spend a few bucks to save a few bucks and buy a CIF
    kit. Depends on the amount of work you do if it's worth the extra cost.

    pixby, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Eatmorepies

    chrlz Guest

    Having migrated from an Epson 1270 (very similar) to a canon i9100, I
    would have to say that the savings involved in replacing each
    individual cartridge are minimal, if any. And there is the added pain
    of almost continually being out or almost out of one tank or another,
    as against replacing just one every couple of months.

    I can get the Canon carts for about AU$13 each, and the Epson combined
    one is only about $48. As you can probably work out, unless the ink
    usage is *very* unbalanced, it is difficult to see where the savings
    would be.... Plus it seems with the Canon, I am *always* replacing a
    cart, or getting warned. I'm actually going back to the Epson, even
    though the i9100 is a very nice and very fast printer..

    chrlz, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Eatmorepies

    Jim Guest

    No, when one gets empty, your replace them all.
    The 1290 is getting rather long in the tooth. Consider an R1800 instead.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 30, 2005
  6. Eatmorepies

    hyperoglyphe Guest

    There should be not much difference going to the Epson 2100/2200. We have a
    2100 and a 1290, the former has far superior output.

    Addtiionally, full bleeds would very often smudge on the trailing edge of
    the 1290- a common problem. On the 2100 there are never problems near
    margins.

    I've not used an R1800, but if it is similar to the R800 A4, the output is
    bettter again.

    Dave

    hyperoglyphe, Aug 30, 2005
  7. There's also the 2400 which is supposed to be even better for B&W.
    Interestingly, although the 2400 uses a completely different color set than
    the R800/R1800, one of the blacks and the gloss optimizer are shared;
    exactly the same cartridge.

    Which brings us to the cartridges: they are tiny and expensive. And when one
    runs out, the damn thing cleans all the heads, burning a significant amount
    of ink. In the R800, anyway. So printing A3 and super A3s with these things
    can't be cheap. Sigh. I don't do a lot of printing, but I seem to be
    changing cartridges all the time anyway.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 30, 2005
  8. Eatmorepies

    pixby Guest

    Thirsty suckers these r2400 but hey, what price perfection?
    This is the only inkjet printer I have ever had which reproduces B&W as
    well as (sometimes better than) I get in the darkroom.

    Generally expect 2 light magenta tanks to one of all the others. Maybe2,
    LL black too. $16 AUD per tank ain't cheap but none of my clients are
    complaining when they see the quality.

    pixby, Aug 30, 2005