    Bought
    ?

    Surreyman

    a.spencer3, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Proud USA Babe

    a.spencer3 Guest

    And Borough?

    Surreyman

    a.spencer3, Sep 27, 2003

  3.
    William Graham, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Proud USA Babe

    Simon Guest

    How about Munchen, pronounced Munich? (yes I know it's got an umlaut but I
    can't be arsed)

    Simon, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Proud USA Babe

    j Guest

    Where is San Fransico... ? Mexico I guess (using US geogrpahy prowess).

    I know where Baghad is.

    j, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Proud USA Babe

    j Guest

    No it's not.

    j, Sep 27, 2003
  7. Proud USA Babe

    Frank ess Guest

    I think you're right. 45 years ago I had even less idea where I was and what
    was going on than I have now.

    Don't get old if you can help it.

    Frank ess, Sep 27, 2003
  8. Proud USA Babe

    Charlie D Guest

    I was 15 back then. ;)

    Charlie D, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Two separate words, I believe......Munich is the real name, and Munchen is
    the nickname, or "sweet name"....(I forget the exact word for a
    loving-nickname)

    William Graham, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Proud USA Babe

    Mark Wallace Guest

    The way *any* USian pronounces "van Gogh" makes me cringe, and I'm not even
    Dutch.

    Mark Wallace, Sep 27, 2003
  11. I pronounce it to rhyme with "go" as in, "I go to the store". - Is that
    correct? It's the way I've heard it all of my life.......

    William Graham, Sep 27, 2003
  12. Proud USA Babe

    Frank ess Guest

    Well, I'm not just *any* 'Merkin, but I get it closer to "cock" than "go".

    Of course I might be pretending, just a little.

    Frank ess, Sep 27, 2003
  13. Proud USA Babe

    mUs1Ka Guest

    Muenchen is the German name and Munich is the English name.
    m.

    mUs1Ka, Sep 28, 2003
  14. Proud USA Babe

    Yukon Jack Guest

    Yukon Jack, Sep 28, 2003
  15. Proud USA Babe

    Mark Wallace Guest

    That's a lot closer to the right way. It should sound more like "fun cock"
    than "vain goe".
    The Dutch 'van' sounds like 'fun', and the dutch 'G' is like the 'ch' in the
    scots "loch" (like hawking up to spit).

    People say they love his work, but they can't show enough respect to even
    try to pronounce his name in a way that he would have understood it.

    Idiot forringer: Hey, Vain Goe!
    Van Gogh: You talking to me?

    Names aren't like other words, that can be pronounced according to regional
    differences; they should be pronounced as their owner pronounces/d them.

    Mark Wallace, Sep 28, 2003
  16. That's true, and all very well and good, but if I were to use the authentic
    Dutch pronunciation, no one here would understand me, and I would have to go
    through the rest of my life explaining who I meant, and why everyone
    misspronounces it and etc. and etc....So, it is just as well that I spend
    the rest of my life now, misspronouncing it the way that everyone else here
    does......IOW, I don't intend to be the sacrificial lamb for the benefit of
    Poor Vincent, who is dead and gone....(God rest his soul)

    William Graham, Sep 28, 2003
  17. Proud USA Babe

    Mark Wallace Guest

    Nah. You'd sound like a true connoisseur, and people would immediately copy
    your pronunciation.

    Before you know it, *everyone* will be saying it properly, and you'll be on
    Oprah, telling of how you achieved it.

    Mark Wallace, Sep 28, 2003
  18. Proud USA Babe

    Jane Fondle Guest

    Jane Fondle, Sep 28, 2003
  19. By the way, are you aware that every name for 'the necessary room' in
    Are the words 'Toilet' and 'Lavatory' obscene? or are they euphemisms?

    Graham Innocent, Sep 28, 2003
  20. By the way, are you aware that every name for 'the necessary room' in
    Are the words 'Toilet' and 'Lavatory' obscene? or are they euphemisms?

    Graham Innocent, Sep 28, 2003