AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH, CANADIAN, or AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Proud USA Babe, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Proud USA Babe

    George Kerby Guest

    George Kerby, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Proud USA Babe

    psmith Guest

    Where apparently they didn't know how to spell 'grammar'.

    psmith, Sep 26, 2003

  3. There's plenty of good microbrewed beer here.

    Gregory W. Blank, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Proud USA Babe

    Frank ess Guest

    Like as if it's spelled
    nag-a-dish

    May have changed in the 45 years since
    I heard the then-denizens say it.

    Frank ess, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Proud USA Babe

    George Kerby Guest

    Nag a douche?
    Seriously: Nak-ahh-dough-chess (Texas pronunciation)
    Columbia crash site ground zero in Texas

    George Kerby, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Yes....I wonder if they use, "Hooked on Phonics" to teach British schoolkids
    how to read?

    William Graham, Sep 27, 2003
  7. And how about, "Tchopatoulas".....(LA too, I believe.......)

    William Graham, Sep 27, 2003
  8. Proud USA Babe

    Charlie D Guest

    While a couple of contributors here place no faith in google, I figure
    that if many sites have the same view, or no sites support a view, there
    has to be something to it.

    Here are some pronunciations from google sites. Some are chamber of
    commerce types.

    Nak uh doh chess
    nack-uh-DOH-chuz
    Nack-a-doe-chess
    Nak-ah-dough'-chez
    knack-oh-dough-chess
    Nack'-a-do'-shus

    One even said "nack-og-dough-ches," but that was the Chicago Tribune so
    what would you expect. ;)

    Charlie D, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Proud USA Babe

    Charlie D Guest

    It's actually Tchoupitoulas, with a silent "T" and silent first "u."

    How about Hockessin, DE.

    Charlie D, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Proud USA Babe

    Frank ess Guest

    In the modern as in the ancient world some things do not yield to plain or
    fancy thought, nor to Goooooogle.

    Nag a dish. I heard it in the flesh. Time after time. Consistently, from
    dozens of different mouth-heights, varied times-of-day and -of-sobriety. Nag
    a dish.

    Google that.

    Frank ess, Sep 27, 2003
  11. Proud USA Babe

    friend Guest

    the real bear comes from Czech, Poland, Germany, Belgium, Denmark.
    some British are OK, some boutique Australian are good too. Never
    heard or tasted good American beer.

    friend, Sep 27, 2003
  12. Proud USA Babe

    friend Guest

    sorry, should be BEER , excuse me I got up early today.

    friend, Sep 27, 2003
  13. Proud USA Babe

    TCS Guest

    Most microbreweries don't export.

    TCS, Sep 27, 2003
  14. Ireland?

    John Rethorst, Sep 27, 2003
  15. Woolfardisworthy, and proud of it :))

    --
    Dave OSOS#24 Remove my gerbil for email replies

    Yamaha XJ900S & Wessex sidecar, the sexy one
    Yamaha XJ900F & Watsonian Monaco, the comfortable one

    http://dswindell.members.beeb.net

    Dave Swindell, Sep 27, 2003
  16. Proud USA Babe

    Charlie D Guest

    Easy Frank, could you have gotten your towns mixed up after 45 years?
    Here's another nugget from googling.

    " To request an application or receive further information, contact
    Ellen Kish, National Center for Preservation Technology and Training,
    NSU, P.O. Box 5682, Natchitoches, Louisiana 71497, 318/357-6464.

    [Note from the Editor: Natchitoches is pronounced "Nack uh tish" by the
    local residents. Texas has a town with a similar spelling but different
    pronunciation, Nacogdoches, pronounced "Nak uh doh chess."]"
    From the site:
    <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/an/an18/an18-7/an18-701.html>

    Variations shown by google now that we have the correct town:
    Nakitish
    NAK-i-tush
    Nah-kuh-tish
    nack-a-tish
    etc.

    Charlie D, Sep 27, 2003
  17. I stand corrected...After all these many years, I had forgotten how they
    spelled it........

    William Graham, Sep 27, 2003
  18. Proud USA Babe

    friend Guest