    American English (an oxymoron) is as idiosyncratic. Example, they spell
    schedule but pronounce it skedule.
    Easy to join Babe's 21st century. Huh!

    jb, Sep 24, 2003

  2. New terms are
    Hummmm.....This must be what happened to the French..........

    William Graham, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Proud USA Babe

    Frank ess Guest

    "had its roots"

    She means "had its roots".

    "took root" means it was successfully transplanted there. That may be true,
    too, but I think it was not what

    Pompous.

    Pretentious.

    Proud USA 'Babe' intended to convey.

    Frank ess, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Proud USA Babe

    nogo Guest

    Did something happen to the French?
    Or are you talking about the language. You see that's what makes for
    good use of grammar. D minus I think.

    nogo, Sep 24, 2003
  5. No, I meant the French society......Move me back to A+......

    William Graham, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Proud USA Babe

    Russell Guest

    Idiosyncratic...Oh, you mean like the English who spell *clerk*
    and pronouce it *clark*, or spell *Leicester* and pronounce it
    *Lester*.

    Russell, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Proud USA Babe

    Peacenik Guest

    Indeed.

    It really depends on who teaches the students, and what accent is in
    preferred in the English-lessons market. In Taiwan, most people are taught
    to speak English with an Anerican accent, since that is what is generally in
    demand. In Singapore and Malaysia, people are usually taught to speak
    English with a British accent. I have come across quite a few Thais and
    Laotians who speak English with an Australian accent, which is probably
    related to the fact that more Australians travel through those countries
    than any other English-speaking group.

    In Cambodia I encountered a Frenchman who spoke English with a heavy French
    accent, who was teaching English to local students. I can just imagine what
    their English sounds like!!

    Peacenik, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Proud USA Babe

    Peacenik Guest

    There are many different accents in the American South - the most
    interesting being that spoken in the Cajun country of Louisiana.

    The James Bond cop's accent comes closest to what I heard when I visited
    Alabama.

    Peacenik, Sep 25, 2003
  9. And the 'Mrcns who spell water and say woddr
    And spell internet and say innrnet
    And spell mirror and say mirr

    Careful, or we'll start feeding the regal char wallah.

    --
    Dave OSOS#24 Remove my gerbil for email replies

    Yamaha XJ900S & Wessex sidecar, the sexy one
    Yamaha XJ900F & Watsonian Monaco, the comfortable one

    http://dswindell.members.beeb.net

    Dave Swindell, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Proud USA Babe

    Andrew Mc Guest

    This coming from someone living in a country that hasn't even picked up the
    metric system of measurement yet...

    Andrew Mc, Sep 25, 2003
  11. Proud USA Babe

    Mark Wallace Guest

    News to me, but I'll (provisionally) take your word for it.

    Mark Wallace, Sep 25, 2003
  12. Proud USA Babe

    Mark Wallace Guest

    I had an LP, once, called "Learn Yesel' Geordie". It was a series of
    lessons, recited by a chap in RP, explaining how the accent worked.
    Hilarious stuff. I've no idea who made it.

    I went to Bobby Thompson's funeral. A wonderful comic, who deserved far
    more recognition than he got.

    Mark Wallace, Sep 25, 2003
  13. Proud USA Babe

    Mark Wallace Guest

    I've started giving lessons to Dutch execs (as a way of spending less than
    20 hours a day on the computer). One of them deals with Scots oil-men, so
    I'm teaching him in a Scots accent.

    Mark Wallace, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Proud USA Babe

    Mark Wallace Guest

    Kindly don't encourage the troll by talking about the subject it introduced.

    Talk about religion or politics, instead.

    Mark Wallace, Sep 25, 2003
  15. Proud USA Babe

    Mark Wallace Guest

    I disagree with the idea that the metric system is better.
    Back when we had pounds, shillings, and pence, everyone could divide by 12
    and 20 (and commonly-used factors of them) in their heads with no trouble.
    Now, they need calculators.

    Mark Wallace, Sep 25, 2003
  16. Proud USA Babe

    Daniel James Guest

    My father used to call it "the 24 hours" ... because there are 24
    hours in the day, but whenever you want to go there's always someone
    else in there!

    (He was always very amused by those signs one sees advertising
    motorway services that say "Not 24 hours". "What's the point?" he
    would ask.)

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

    [Oh, and he was a keen amateur photographer, just in case anyone
    still thinks this off-topic in the photo groups I can't be bothered
    to trim.]

    Daniel James, Sep 25, 2003
  17. Proud USA Babe

    Henry Guest

    Henry, Sep 25, 2003
  18. Proud USA Babe

    Simon Guest

    A French Army officer I know learnt his English at an Indian Staff College.
    His accent defies description

    Simon, Sep 25, 2003
  19. Proud USA Babe

    Russell Guest

    Sorry, that one was just too good to resist.

    Russell, Sep 25, 2003
  20. I'll take a Imperial Pint of Canadian, Australian or British Beer over a
    US Pint of American beer any day of the week

    Darrell A. Larose, Sep 25, 2003