    combo?

    What are everyones views?
    thanks

    *** JB, Aug 16, 2004

  2. *** JB

    Fitz Guest

    Prices on the AMD64 have dropped considerably since I bought mine. Given the
    choice, I would certainly opt for the 64. Even without a 64bit OS, it's an
    improvement over the Athlon chip because of the way it handles memory.

    If you do go with the AMD64, get quality memory, and I would suggest a
    minimum of PC3500. If you read the AMD forums, you'll see a lot of post
    concerning memory problems. I had to change Kingston HyperX PC3200 to
    Mushkin Level 1 PC3500 to stop random reboots (regardless of application).
    The system is now stable, and runs very well.

    Fitz

    Fitz, Aug 16, 2004

  3. *** JB

    Avenger© Guest

    Yes

    --

    Avenger©

    "Put the CAT out to reply"
    *I DETEST Spam - A Spam Hater since 1951*

    Avenger©, Aug 16, 2004
  4. *** JB

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Definitely worth it. Onboard memory controller alone makes it worth it.
    And the idea that one day you may have a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit version of
    Doom3 or a 64-bit Windows port of UT2k4 is just icing on the cake.

    Jim Berwick, Aug 16, 2004
  5. The Athlon 64 is screaming fast. For a desktop I'd go with a 939 pin part
    which has twice the memory bandwidth and a lower load on each bus (2
    rather than 3 dimms). I have an A64 laptop (754 pin, 3400+), all my
    benchmarking shows it to be equivalent to a 4-5GHz Xeon (depending on
    application). Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition installed without a problem.

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 16, 2004
  6. *** JB

    JK Guest

    Are you building a new pc, or do you already have an XP3000+?
    What types of software do you run? If you run only business
    applications, then an XP3000+ would be fine. If you run multimedia,
    games, or other large bandwidth applications, then you should get
    an Athlon 64.

    JK, Aug 16, 2004
  7. *** JB

    *** JB Guest

    cheers for all the advice guys - looks like i'll go for the AMD64 Combo soon
    :)

    *** JB, Aug 16, 2004
  8. *** JB

    -- Guest

    Which laptop did you finally decide to get?

    Thanks.

    --, Aug 17, 2004
  9. I got the Compaq R3000z with an Athlon 64 3400+, 1G RAM, 60G drive,
    1680x1050 screen and built in 802.11G. The 802.11G card was free
    otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it since it's useless (no Linux drivers
    and no 64 bit Windows drivers which are necessary for ndiswrapper). The
    Compaq R3000z and the HP zv5000z are identical except for color. The HP
    cost $200 more, not clear why. The big screen is nice but It makes the
    laptop a little unwieldy, I think if I had it to do over I'd get the
    smaller screen. The one thing I absolutely would not buy again is the HP
    carrying case, it's not much better than a shopping bag. The case came in
    a bundle with a mouse and a USB cable, skip it and just get a third
    party mouse and case.

    I put Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition on it. It installed without to much
    fiddling. The only thing that required any hacking was the XFConfig file
    to get it to support the 1680x1050 screen. If you get the standard screen
    it will work right out of the box. The other thing that I had to do was
    build a 2.6.8.1 kernel to get the Cool & Quiet clock speed control to
    work. That was very simple to do. Once you have a kernel that supports
    Cool & QUiet, switching clock speeds is trivial, just echo the clock speed
    into the scaling_setspeed file.

    echo 2200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 17, 2004
  10. *** JB

    Duddits Guest

    Check again. They are within `$25.00 if identical options are selected.

    regards

    Dud

    Duddits, Aug 17, 2004
  11. Not even close,

    With the following features
    Athlon 64 3400+
    XP Pro
    1680x1050 LCD
    64MB Nvidia
    1G DDR (2x512)
    60GB drive
    DVD + CDRW
    54g 802.11b,g
    12 Cell Lithium battery

    Compaq R3000z $1523
    HP xv5000z $1823

    That's $300 difference not $25

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 17, 2004
  12. *** JB

    -- Guest

    Thanks for the detailed report. Two questions:

    1) How noisy or quite is this laptop?
    2) What are your impressions of the nVidia video card?

    Thanks again.

    --, Aug 18, 2004
  13. When the clock speed is cranked up to 2.2GHz and it's crunching it's a
    little noisy, at slower clock speeds it's quiet. The Nvidia card is fine
    for everything I do but I don't play games.

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 18, 2004