    Was thinking of spending some dosh but if there`s not much of a speed
    increase then I`ll give it a miss.

    Thanks

    Ged, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Ged

    Harrison Guest

    The Opteron is the multi-processor server version.
    Athlon 64 FX-51 is the single processor desktop version

    Unless you're planning on running Linux, there will not be a 64 bit
    desktop OS designed for the Athlon until 2004.

    TechTV:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3530503,00.html

    Tom's Hardware:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030923/index.html

    Flamer Disclaimer: I am fully aware that Microsoft has a Windows XP
    for 64 bit Technical Workstations. This is not the same as the OS
    currently being developed for the AMD 64 bit CPU.

    Harrison, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Ged

    Ged Guest

    Thanks for the info
    I thought that windows server 2003 has support for 64 bit instructions

    Ged, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Ged

    Harrison Guest

    There is 64 bit capability in server 2003, but most folks are looking
    to the new Athlons for gaming, video editing, CAD, and Photoshop type
    work.
    I think we'll see the 64 bit desktop OS optimized for those kinds of
    applications rather than for distributed computing.

    Like you, I'm interested in the 64's, but until some 64 bits programs
    are available, and the new version of Windows is out and debugged, I
    don't see the point in spending all that cash just yet.

    Harrison, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Ged

    Ged Guest

    Cheers mate much appreciated.

    Ged, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Ged

    Cubzilla Guest

    I have heard that 32 bit apps fly on the 64

    Regards

    Cubzilla, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Ged

    Eric Witte Guest

    Cheers mate much appreciated.
    These chips have a MUCH higher IPC than the P4s. From what I see
    32-bit games are faster on the FX-51 than even the sample P4EE cpus.
    That is running 1Ghz slower as well. However even current P4s
    slightly outperform it on most of the encoding tasks. These tasks are
    generally coded to take advantage of P4 instruction sets. I'm sure
    versions optimized for the Opteron would be on top even in these
    tests.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Oct 10, 2003