AMD desktops with "all in wonder"?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Big Mama Bear, Jul 21, 2007.

  1. Hey, who sells nicely priced AMD desktops that you can configure yourself,
    with All In Wonder card options?

    Big Mama Bear, Jul 21, 2007

  2. Why not build it yourself? www.newegg.com

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2007

  3. I tried that years ago ( from Tiger Direct ), but had one heck of a time
    getting the stuff to all work together. ( finally did, with their help )
    Of course that was in the days of interrupts, IRQ's and all that.

    Is it a lot easier now with everything being PnP?

    Big Mama Bear, Jul 21, 2007
  4. The hard part is making sure you have compatible parts to begin with,
    such as correct combination motherboard/CPU/memory. Other than that, you
    can put one together and install the OS in an afternoon. I've nearly
    forgotten what it's like to deal with IRQs. But talk about flexibility!
    You can do whatever you want if you build it yourself.

    Why are you wanting an All in Wonder? I've had them before wasn't too
    thrilled with them. Maybe the newer ones are better.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2007
  5. Man, they go back a long way -- I didn't even know they were still
    making All-in-Wonder cards. I had one in...jeez, must've been something
    like...er...well, the early nineties, because I remember I was still
    using an impact printer then. That's heck heckuva long run for a named
    line of cards.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 21, 2007
  6. I still have a computer with an AIW in it. My issues with it were the
    video output on a TV was worse than VHS tape, much worse. And some of
    the functions I never could get to work. Like I said earlier, maybe
    they're better now, but I felt like I had flushed $300 down the toilet.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2007

  7. We have DirecTV and I like being able to watch a little cable news
    sometime while I'm working on the computer. I have an older AIW card but
    it basically works for that.

    Is there anything better for that now?

    Big Mama Bear, Jul 21, 2007

  8. I've been using this one for years, just to watch a little news now and
    then while on the computer. The picture is better with the cable plugged
    into it, but it's inside the computer, surrounded by all that noise, so
    I'm not sure how good they can make them with that.

    Big Mama Bear, Jul 21, 2007
  9. I'm the wrong one to ask that question to, I'm not interested in
    watching TV on my PC. I have a 32" TV just to my right when I'm seated
    at the computer. What I was most disappointed with was the TV out
    picture quality sucked.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2007
  10. Just out of curiousity, I posted a "Want it now" on Ebay and got this
    reply today:

    Item: NEW Desktop PC AMD 1 GB RAM All In Wonder - tuner DVDRW

    I can build this computer for 550, with AMD X2 dual core, 1 GB RAM, 2 X
    80GB HDD ( 1 external USB, 1 internal), 7 USB front ports, Digital ATSC
    HDTV Tuner /w IR Remote, 20X DVD DL+-R Burner, 500w PSU, nvidia 6100
    Graphics card, and Roswill case. With Media Center 2005 /w COA (
    required for Tuner).

    Viewsonic 19 LCD Widescreen 5ms Monitor would cost an additional 190,
    obviously you could have a CRT for much cheaper. Let me know I can post
    it on ebay with a "buy it now" price or list it on my site
    wwww.bigcatcomputer.com and pay with google check ( which saves an
    additional 5%)
    ____________________

    Sounds decent, though I'd have to look at what all he wants to use in
    it.

    Big Mama Bear, Jul 21, 2007
  11. Big Mama Bear

    meerkat Guest

    Talk to the man. It looks like a genuine business.

    meerkat, Jul 21, 2007
  12. Find out exactly what motherboard he's planning on using and do a Google
    search for reviews on it. And you know you're not getting ATI's AIW, but
    what he's suggesting may be better.

    One other site to look over to see what they off besides newegg.com is
    http://3btech.net/ , I've had good luck with them.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2007