    Am I correct in assuming that amd machines are specific for either?
    Thanks for help and comments,
    Seamus J. Wilson

    Lori M. Wilson, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Lori M. Wilson

    Martik Guest

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/index.html

    Quick answer: 754 has very limited upgrade path go for 939 if you can afford
    it. Both are AMD ONLY. On a budget, consider Sempron on Socket A

    Martik, Aug 11, 2005

  3. I think AMD and Socket A mobos are hard to beat for bang-for-the-buck.
    I'm on my third such CPU and second such mobo, now.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Lori M. Wilson

    Martik Guest

    Yup, I've managed to migrate from a Duron 600 to a Athlon 1700 Overclocked
    to 2600 on the same board!

    Martik, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Duron 600 -> Duron 1.1MHz -> Athlon 2400+, here. Epox and Shuttle mobos.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Lori M. Wilson

    Render Me Guest

    semprons have a 754 socket too...