    Yes, that's RIGHT! A MULTI-BUTTON mouse for the Mac.....

    Whatever will they think of next????

    ;-)

    Max Burke, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Max Burke

    Murray Symon Guest

    [snip]

    Intel's processor chips are no less proprietary than the PowerPC.
    Who says that Apple will build their Intel-based models using generic
    PC architecture? Apple will still be building apples.

    Murray Symon, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Hi there,

    Hehe! Wonders never cease! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Max Burke

    Rob Guest

    It has a ball for a 'wheel' which is a new thing.

    Rob, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Max Burke

    Neil Guest

    My understanding is the developer box that have been released by apple
    are P4 3.6 Ghz on a standard motherboard so the final version will be
    something similar Although I'm sure Apple will TRY and make sure You can
    only load OsX on to there intel Machines so they can charge to much for
    them

    Neil, Aug 4, 2005
  6. Max Burke

    Bruce Knox Guest

    Glad I saw the smiley. Nothing new here.

    Where are the headlines "Apple consedes to Microsoft lead"

    Now whats the smiley for stirring?

    Bruce.

    Bruce Knox, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Word on the street suggests that the final product will be nothing like
    the developer boxes, which were produced purely for the purpose of
    testing code compiled for x86. In fact, all of these developer boxes are
    required to eventually be returned to Apple.

    They will charge a premium for their hardware to cover the costs of
    their software development, and they will not sell OS X for generic x86
    machines as a shrink-wrapped product, because they would need to include
    drivers for every conceivable make and model of PC component. This is a
    path that Apple do not want to go down.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.

    Alastair McAllister, Aug 4, 2005
  8. Max Burke

    Rob J Guest

    He said CPU architecture not PC.

    Rob J, Aug 4, 2005
  9. Max Burke

    Rob J Guest

    How does Apple handle PCI slots now?

    Rob J, Aug 4, 2005
  10. Finally! Someone does a multi-button mouse right! ;o)

    No, I'm being serious. I still use the Apple-supplied mouse with my Mac.
    Some people don't like them, but I think the shape of the 'Apple Pro
    Mouse' is great and I'm glad Apple kept it. I've used a mouse on my PC
    at work with two buttons and a scroll wheel for years. The scroll wheel:
    "Eh, whatever". The extra button though is handy for contextual menus,
    which is the one thing I'd use it for on my Mac. I've tried three
    different mice on my Mac and abandoned all of them, because when I'm
    sitting in front of a Mac I'm now too used to clicking the mouse with
    three fingers. Now we know why Apple took so long on this mouse: they
    had to design one which can be used as if it only has one main button,
    just to keep me satisfied :eek:)

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 4, 2005
  11. Max Burke

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Another of my patent ideas goes begging. Way back in the mid-80s when this
    debate was raging for the first time, we came up with the suggestion of
    putting a keyboard on top of a mouse ball, for a true multi-button mouse.

    Stu Fleming, Aug 4, 2005
  12. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    Nope. Apple will be only be publicly releasing Pentium M based systems
    (in laptops and minis first) and requires everyone to give back the leased
    P4 based dev machines so they can shred em a year from now when they
    release actual products.

    AD., Aug 4, 2005
  13. Max Burke

    AD. Guest

    All joking aside, it is actually a pretty innovative device.

    eg trackball instead of scrollwheel, the two buttons aren't really
    separate buttons - it can tell which side of the mouse you're pressing on
    etc.

    And it still seamlessly works the same way for those users used to a
    single button mouse.

    AD., Aug 4, 2005
  14. Max Burke

    PAM. Guest

    PAM., Aug 4, 2005
  15. Max Burke

    Jeremy Guest

    Jeremy, Aug 5, 2005
  16. [title line clarified a little]

    Another of my patent ideas goes begging. Way back in the mid-80s when this
    debate was raging for the first time, we came up with the suggestion of
    putting a keyboard on top of a mouse ball, for a true multi-button mouse.[/QUOTE]

    Byte magazine did that in a spoof item at the time. It was an answer to
    the eternal question "how many buttons on a mouse?". Their solution was
    "all of them"--put the entire keyboard on the mouse.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2005