    Did they pay journalists to spread this story far and wide? Sure
    looks like it. It's been everywhere.

    http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2011/10/lytro-light-field-camera-now-available.html

    RichA, Oct 24, 2011

  2. It's not a DSLR, though.

    David J Taylor, Oct 24, 2011

  3. RichA

    Me Guest

    Did they pay you to spread it too?
    It is actually pretty interesting (IMO), so reasonably newsworthy.
    Sample pictures here:
    https://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
    click on image to set focus point, double click to zoom... slightly.
    So native "still" output resolution is about 0.3 mp, from an 11
    "mega-ray" sensor.

    Me, Oct 24, 2011
  4. RichA

    Me Guest

    No you can't. Despite you posting the link, I don't think you "get it".
    "Infinite Focus" is a poor description.
    This allows relatively shallow DOF, where you can select focus distance
    /after/ the shot has been taken, retaining shallow DOF if desired,
    rather than making everything in focus, as in deep DOF from a small
    sensor and small F-stop. Sure you could use it to output very deep DOF,
    but what's the point when your iPhone does a better job?
    Did you look at the examples in the link I posted?
    If it's possible that this concept can be scaled up so that it gives
    reasonable output resolution, then it would be pretty nifty. Completely
    getting rid of the need to focus HD video (as you can select the focus
    point later), yet retaining shallow DOF (or deep - you could get to
    choose when editing) would be quite a trick. Of course it can also
    output 3d.

    Me, Oct 25, 2011
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    The articles so far are woefully lacking in specifics. Like how does
    it work, why does the "sensor" have such a low effective pixel count
    (and near worthless resolution at this point) and how long does it
    take to acquire each shot, what is sensitivity like?

    RichA, Oct 25, 2011
  6. RichA

    Me Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-field_photography

    Time to acquire each shot is a claimed advantage - as it doesn't need to
    focus, then there's no focus lag. Sensitivity will depend on the sensor
    sensitivity, but there's also a potential advantage, as deep DOF can be
    achieved (if desired) at large aperture settings.
    The resolution isn't very good. The first digital camera I bought (in
    the '90s) was also a toy, with about the same output resolution as the
    Lytro. Only a few years later, consumers could buy cheap digital
    cameras (at about the same US$200 as I paid for a toy) with plenty of
    resolution.
    I'm not going to rush out and buy a Lytro camera, but the technology is
    very interesting - I'd even say revolutionary - especially if resolution
    can be improved while also keeping size and price under control.

    Me, Oct 25, 2011
  7. It's a camera that seems to do "magic". Mostly because it's utilizing one
    of the largest advances in camera technology since the invention of the
    digital camera. In some sense, it's not even a "camera" any more, as it
    is capturing the image in a way that is fundementally different than all
    cameras before it.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT Images@Alamy:http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  8. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Plenoptic_camera

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    <Yawn>

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
  10. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

    -Ryan

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  11. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Ctrl-K

    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
  12. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Except maybe holography.

    John A., Oct 27, 2011
  13. I must admit, you make me nostaligic for the old days of Usenet when the
    trolls were more talented. You aren't terrible at it, but the artform has
    slipped a great deal. Unless you're a legitamate net.kook, in which case
    you're REALLY making me nostalgic.

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
  14. I wonder if you can't get something equivalent using a (admittedly non
    existing) DSLR with automatic focus bracketing and an adequate
    post-treatment.

    Anyhow the tea sipper example revealed the Lytro limitations.
    No focus happens behind the wire mesh, even worse: a large unsuitable
    beige area was displayed, where you should have got her T-shirt.
    It is also impossible to focus on the sign placed at her T-shirt (her
    left arm).

    Laszlo

    Laszlo Lebrun, Oct 28, 2011
  15. If you looked at Lytro's claims, native resolution is HD, IIRC
    full HD, i.e. 2 MPix.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 1, 2011
  16. RichA

    Me Guest

    I missed that:
    "Produces HD-quality interactive, living pictures".
    I suspect that there's a bit of ambiguity there.
    The samples in their on-line viewer can be "zoomed in" on, but looks
    like it's zoomed beyond native output resolution. If they could output
    1080 x 1920 stills - or close to it, that would be terrific - in fact at
    the price, I'd buy one now - just to see for myself.
    HD res is plenty / useful for snapshots and web use.

    Me, Nov 3, 2011