Am I running Windows XP 32 bit? or 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by James Haddow, Jan 3, 2004.

1. James Haddow

Nicegeek

32 bit vs 64 bit--how do I know what I have

It's sarcastic responses like this that give all geeks a bad rep. Honest question, give an honest answer!!
    Got to START-RUN. Type in winmsd.exe. Under System Summary you will see on the right, OS Name and System Type. If it says x86, you are running a 32 bit processor. If it says i64, you are running a 64 bit processor.

Nicegeek, Sep 7, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. James Haddow

grammy

@Nicegeek: Thanks, so much for a useable answer to the question. One-and-a half years later, and it's still a valid question and a valid and valuable answer.

grammy

grammy, Feb 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. James Haddow

sriramkk

How to find if Windows is 32 bit or 64 bit

Windows XP
    If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version. If one does not work, try the other.

Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
    Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
    For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
    Note <Year> is a placeholder for a year.

sriramkk, May 31, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question