    Ron Hunter Guest

    We are as different as night and day, but we get along, and we
    complement eachother.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Grumps

    Ron Hunter Guest

    South Dakota? No wonder you weren't impressed. Try southeastern
    Oklahoma, or south Texas, or Alaska. I think you would find them much
    more interesting.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 22, 2005

  3. Grumps

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Where I grew up, 15 inches in 24 hours isn't a record rainfall!

    Ron Hunter, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Grumps

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, isn't he somewhat permanently 'entrenched' now?

    Ron Hunter, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Grumps

    ASAAR Guest

    Yep, along with his well used "entrenching tool".

    ASAAR, Apr 22, 2005
  6. Grumps

    Chris Brown Guest

    That's not so bad when the money you're left with is in a currency that's
    actually worth something.

    Chris Brown, Apr 22, 2005
  7. Grumps

    Chris Brown Guest

    The two aren't really equivalent though. One obvious example - an incident a
    few months ago when I was giving a visiting US colleague a lift. We were
    driving in the A14 Cambridge Northern Bypass, and it was rarther badly
    rutted. I appologised for the ride quality, suggesting that the road was
    overdue for a resurfacing. My colleague expressed surprise at this, because
    he thought it was in really good condition.

    Having driven on your Interstates, I can sort of understand why you guys all
    drive Chealsea Tractors.

    Chris Brown, Apr 22, 2005
  8. Grumps

    Chris Brown Guest

    Lots of yanks have a very odd idea of what constitutes liberalism, to the
    extent that the term is actually often used as a term of abuse there. They
    also have an unusual take on what constitutes a left-wing politician -
    they'd probably regard John Major, and definitely regard Blair, as left
    wing. Introduce the sort of American who uses "liberal" as an insult to a
    real left wing politician, like Dennis Skinner, or even someone a bit more
    moderate, such as Tony Benn, and explain that they were elected in a western
    democracy by large majorities, and in the case of Benn, actually served as a
    government minister, and their head would probably explode.

    Bear in mind that, as with anywhere, the US has plenty of nice, decent
    sensible people. It's just the foaming extreme right-wing loonies that make
    the most noise.

    Chris Brown, Apr 22, 2005
  9. Grumps

    Owamanga Guest

    4,148,395km paved roads for 293,027,571 people. 0.014157km/person
    371,913km paved roads for 60,270,708 people. 0.006170km/person

    Put another way, the US maintains more than double the amount of road
    surface per person than the UK, plus ours are wider. So I guess it
    makes sense that there is a quality difference.
    Chelsea Tractors - Is that what you call them now? That's funny. In
    South Florida I guess the equivalent would be Boca Tractors.

    Owamanga, Apr 22, 2005
  10. Grumps

    Chris Brown Guest

    Perhaps out in the sticks, bute you'd at least expect the major arterial
    routes in large conurbations to be in a better state than they are in the
    US.

    Chris Brown, Apr 22, 2005