always "Processing..." 5-10 secs when I take a picture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by choco, May 6, 2007.

  1. choco

    choco Guest

    I apologize if this is a giant noob question you see 5 times a day
    (and I think it must be)... but I've done a bit of searching and
    haven't found the answer yet.

    I have a Kodak Easyshare CX6230, it's a bit old but it's been working
    well for me. But recently I've been having some problems... after just
    about every other picture, the light turns red and it says
    "Processing..." on the screen for up to 10 seconds before I can take
    another picture.

    I tried formatting the card and formatting the internal memory, and it
    still happens. I tried it without the memory card, and it still
    happens... which unfortunately seems to mean the problem is in the
    camera, not the memory card.

    Anyone know why this is happening now, if there's any way to prevent
    it, or any way to fix it? Or is this just something that happens to
    digital cameras after a few years of use? This wasn't a super
    expensive camera but it wasn't dirt cheap either, I would hate to
    think that every digital camera on the market is only going to last
    3-4 years before you have to buy a new one.

    I've been using it fairly infrequently, too... a lot at holidays and
    special events, but then sometimes it'll sit for a month or two
    without being used.

    choco, May 6, 2007

  2. choco

    Charles Guest

    Reset it to the factory default settings ... check your owner's manual.

    Charles, May 6, 2007

  3. choco

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Choco,

    Not an unusual question at all.

    I suspect the reason for the red light and the time till it stops is for the
    camera processor and firmware to do their work. It takes a lot to complete a
    digital image. In short, when you take a picture the sensor is exposed as
    film was in the past. Rather than excite silver halides, the light strikes a
    picture element of the array of pixels or sensor. Since light is really a
    form of energy within a given part of the electromagnetic spectrum it can be
    assigned a mathematical value for that color space. All of the pixels result
    in a number which is the processed and grouped into a file. Later, in your
    computer, that file is used to display on screen or used to make a print.

    As you can imagine, to do that much processing requires a fair amount of
    computing time. 10 seconds is a long time in the computing world. You can
    usually take more than one picture in sequence during this time and the
    resulting images are stored as data in the buffer or memory of the camera
    until they can be processed.

    Hope this helps, Coco, talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, May 7, 2007