    also supply pigment inks, at a higher price (the kit for pigment
    archival ink is significantly higher). Any comments please?

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Sep 2, 2003

  2. nobody nowhere

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: nobody nowhere
    For the ICC files, all you would do is copy them into the right directory for
    your OS (varies a bit by operating system), this will be simple enough.
    These CIS (Continuous Ink Supply) systems do offer lower ink costs after
    they've paid for the initial investment. However there is no reason to believe
    a salesman claiming "quality would be better", and there is a high likelihood
    you'll increase the odds of clogging the heads and have significantly lower
    print life.

    Read the article at the following link before you decide on this. You may
    decide the lower costs are woth it, but it doesn't sound worth it to me. Be
    sure to check out the chart on page 2.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Thanks Bill, as always, I am indebted to you. On a different matter, it
    seems that the Sonic Artisan monitor is no longer available. I tried B
    & H and the computer cannot recognize it, I assume it is either out of
    stock or discontinued. Here in UK, it seems to be out of stock (just as
    well, because it costs the equivalent of about 2500 us dollars... ). I
    kept your full article for the benefit of others.

    Nobody

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Thank you again, here in Europe they are skinning us alive, even 2000
    euros is still 40 per cent higher than the US price!! The UK price
    seems to be about 60 per cent higher!

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Sep 2, 2003
  5. nobody nowhere

    Tom Monego Guest

    A lot of folks think the LaCie Blue series monitors are excellent, very close
    to the Sony Artisan, a 19 inch can be found in the USfor $350.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Sep 3, 2003
  6. nobody nowhere

    JC Dill Guest

    <quote>

    And it was in permanence that third-party inks fell short. For
    example, Wilhelm projected prints made with Epson's C82 inks (colored
    with pigments instead of less-durable organic dyes) on Epson's most
    stable (with these inks) paper to last 92 years when displayed, while
    rating none of the prints with generic inks on the same paper to last
    more than a year. The HP and Canon inks are dye-based, so their
    advantage over third-party inks was somewhat less but still
    substantial. (Newer HP printers use inks that Wilhelm, in other tests,
    has found to be far more stable than HP's inks for the 3820.)

    </quote>

    It occurs to me that using these cheap inks might be a good idea for
    proof photos that some photographers [1] freely give away. You would
    want to clearly disclose that the free proofs are *intentionally* made
    with inks that will quickly fade and that to get high quality photos
    made with lasting inks they have to purchase prints.

    jc

    [1] In particular, when photographing horses in competition,
    photographers will send out proofs and stamp "proof" on the front.
    Many times the riders/owers will just keep the proofs rather than buy
    prints. (There are a lot of horses for sale being advertised using
    these prints!) But, if the proof is going to fade in less than a
    year, that would be more motivation for them to buy prints instead.

    JC Dill, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Thank you very much. I kept your article for the benefit of others.
    Expensive hobby, isn't it? :)

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Sep 5, 2003