    When I go to where it shows "status", I see it shows "disconnected" on the
    broadband and the ISP items. When I click connect, nothing happens.

    What else do I need to do get online on the internet?

    richard, Dec 15, 2010

  2. richard

    Jordon Guest

    FOAD. That's what you need to do.

    Jordon, Dec 15, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    show me how por favor. I'm to stoopid to know how.

    richard, Dec 15, 2010
  4. richard

    John Holmes Guest

    richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    A functional brain would suffice.

    John Holmes, Dec 15, 2010
  5. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    Set up the PPPoE authentication. You should be able to at least get to
    inside the QWEST's cloud and into their account setup.

    Meat Plow, Dec 15, 2010
  6. richard

    Jordon Guest

    I fixed it for you.

    Jordon, Dec 15, 2010
  7. richard

    Bert Hyman Guest

    You need to talk to your ISP, tell them the make and model of your DSL
    box, and have them tell you how to configure it to talk to their
    network.

    This is all assuming that you have a DSL account with an ISP. Didn't
    they send you anything about this?

    Bert Hyman, Dec 16, 2010
  8. richard

    richard Guest

    well I guess I must have an account as they sent out an installer for the
    phone line and sent the router to me.

    as I understand how it works, it's all supposed to be done while you're
    installing the software. So I'm starting over from scratch now that I've
    learned a few things on this.

    richard, Dec 16, 2010
  9. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    Does your sync light show the modem is sync'd with the dslam? It's
    possible the equipment got there before the line was actually
    provisioned.

    Meat Plow, Dec 16, 2010
  10. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    WARNING TO THE UNWARY:

    Do not help this poster. You will not receive any gratitude, but you most
    probably be lambasted for not doing enough to help him. Even if you put
    in any of your precious time to help him, you will not get any
    appreciation for your efforts.

    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

    Aardvark, Dec 16, 2010
  11. richard

    richard Guest

    Take bleach with your meds.

    I wasn't asking for anyone to do anything for me when I asked about an OCR
    program. What was done and posted was nothing what I wanted or asked for.
    The image I showed was only a partial image of the whole thing so he had
    less than a 10th of the whole thing to work with.

    You got all bent out of shape simply because I didn't say thank you. I will
    say thank you when a person has properly answered my questions and provides
    me with what I need.

    Even you.

    richard, Dec 16, 2010
  12. richard

    richard Guest

    Welllllllll, as I started from scratch this time, I got into a screen I was
    not in the first time. They're saying it's a problem with the phone line.
    But the tech who installed the phone line said everything was fine and
    ready.

    Guess it's time to call tech support.

    richard, Dec 16, 2010
  13. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    WARNING TO THE UNWARY:

    Do not help this poster. You will not receive any gratitude, but you most
    probably be lambasted for not doing enough to help him. Even if you put
    in any of your precious time to help him, you will not get any
    appreciation for your efforts.

    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

    Note the words I've quoted above. He actually agrees with this warning.

    Aardvark, Dec 16, 2010
  14. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    We (tinw) have sampled your gratitude nd it is not worth the
    effort.

    Mike "HTDH and HALD" Yetto

    Mike Yetto, Dec 16, 2010
  15. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Make sure they know they *must* solve *all* your problems.

    Mike "no half measures accepted" Yetto

    Mike Yetto, Dec 16, 2010
  16. richard

    anyone Guest

    FWIW:

    Some modems can be configured as a 'bridge'. If yours is configured as a
    bridge, it will only pass data between your local network and the Central
    Office. In that mode, you still need something else to manage the
    protocol (usually PPPoE), the username, password, Network Address
    Translation, Firewall, and so on. To verify this, or change the mode, you
    need to open the management HTML page for the modem. If your modem is pre-
    configured as a bridge, you open the HTML page for the switch (also
    incorrectly called a router) that sits between the bridge and your
    network. My experience: open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the
    address bar.

    That HTML page is usually where you choose the protocol (PPPoE), choose
    DHCP, enter a username and password for access to the server in the CO.
    Once that data is entered, and depending on the configuration chosen by
    the ISP, you wait a minute or two for an authentication process to
    complete.

    As Mr. Plow wrote, modems usually have at least one LED for sync status
    and sometimes another for authentication. When you first connect the UTP
    line, and before your modem has completed authentication, the "sync light"
    should be On and steady (check the user manual). If there is a second
    LED, it will indicate a fault condition (flashing, Red, something similar)
    until the modem has successfully completed authentication. If the sync
    LED is not 'steady' (good synchronizaton), it's time to call Tech Support
    because you have some kind of line problem and no amount of entering user
    credentials will fix it.

    If the ISP included software with the modem, and you're still not
    comfortable with the HTML setup, there usually is some kind of automated
    installation program that will walk you through everything, including the
    MAC address of the modem when it is needed.

    anyone, Dec 16, 2010
  17. richard

    n0i Guest

    Could you be a lot more specific?

    n0i

    n0i, Dec 16, 2010
  18. richard

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In Steel
    My ISP didn't know the MAC address of my router, nor did Qwest and
    neither care.

    I could go to the drugstore, buy another, plug it in and it would work,
    so long as I configured it properly.

    Bert Hyman, Dec 16, 2010
  19. richard

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In Steel
    Not really. In my installaion, the initial DHCP discover message sent by
    the router contains the MAC address. Since my chosen ISP is the only
    place that message is going, there's no danger of any confusion.

    Bert Hyman, Dec 16, 2010
  20. richard

    n0i Guest

    Here, my ISP doesn't care. I can make a linux router out of an old PC,
    or buy one somewhere...and have it work. Not all ISPs require you to
    hand over mac addys

    n0i

    n0i, Dec 16, 2010