    Is there a way I could allocate more RAM to this program and would that
    facilitate an increase in speed?

    many thanks

    Zakynthos, Dec 17, 2008

  2. Zakynthos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Could you describe your setup more thoroughly?
    Operating System, processor, amount and type of RAM, hard disk, etc.
    And finally, which is the - slow - application you are running onto it.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 17, 2008

  3. Zakynthos

    Zakynthos Guest

    Carlos,

    I think this is what you need - I'm using:

    Windows XP Professional version 2002
    Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33 GHz
    980 Mb ram
    Hard drive ST 380815AS
    Software: Genesys workforce management program - a real time database

    Please let me know if you need any other info.

    Many thanks

    Zakynthos, Dec 17, 2008
  4. Zakynthos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    This is a Newsgroup for 64-bit operating systems and you are using a 32-bit
    one.
    All that being said, if you are convinced that your program needs more
    memory, I would go from the 1GB you have to 2GB.
    If data transfer is limited by hard disk speed you might also consider
    setting up a RAID array with, at least, two identical disks.
    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 17, 2008
  5. And if this is a laptop, consider swapping out the HD for a faster one. Most
    laptops ship with quite slow drives. Upgrading to a 7200 RPM drive can make
    a noticeable difference. Combine that with increasing the RAM to 2 GB, and
    you should see a significant difference.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2008
  6. Zakynthos

    Carlos Guest

    Drive is an 80GB, 7200rpm, 3.5" Seagate Barracuda.
    He might also be running out of space, depending on what he has installed in
    it.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 17, 2008
  7. Zakynthos

    John Barnes Guest

    In addition to the above suggestions, you might get a head start by changing
    the process to a higher priority (try above normal initially).

    John Barnes, Dec 17, 2008
  8. Zakynthos

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 19, 2008
  9. Zakynthos

    ignium

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think this may be a little more on topic.
    I am currently running:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 CPU running at 2.4 GHz
    6.0 GB of RAM.

    I am using Civil 3D 2009 (32-bit) in compatibility mode. Since this is a 32-bit program and really the only data intensive program I run on this system. Is there a way to allocate 2 GB of RAM exclusively to this program? It's my understanding that it technically wouldn't be able to run more than approx. 3.2 GB or RAM any way. And... would this even help to speed the program?

    ignium, Dec 29, 2009